Saturday Market - Lower Marsh

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 15 March 2014 4.47pm
Thought it was about time I went and spent some of my hard earned money at the Saturday market; turns out I need to take out a loan. Really expensive: Small carrot cake £8. A small sealed bag of kale £2.50 (organic; wonder if the bag was 'environmentally friendly'). And a £2.50 savoy cabbage (perhaps it's really a Savoy cabbage!) Felt really sorry for the lovely lady who sells home-made cakes though. She drags them there (literally), all the way from Kennington every day, in all weathers, and now she is in competition with Konditor and Cook who had a stall there today. Fortunately, the usual fruit and veg man was there and I was able to buy my usual. I think if people want this kind of market they will go to Borough Market. It was quite quiet today, although Greensmiths seemed to have plenty of customers. Not sure what the alternative is, but as a local resident I know I won't go any further than the fruit and veg stall next week.
Saturday 15 March 2014 6.41pm
The fish stall is worth a look, I found it good value. The fruit and veg stall is ace.
Saturday 15 March 2014 6.55pm
The fruit and veg stall is definitely ace. Wasn't sure about the fish stall; I was a bit worried about all that fish and meat out on counters. I know it wasn't a particularly hot day but some of it must have been out of refrigeration for several hours.
Sunday 16 March 2014 7.42am
i forgot it was there and blundered thru on my way back from pimlico. it was tourist trap-tastic & you're right it's nothing borough market isn't doing already.

greensmiths looked busy but that just made be think, i'll give Greensmiths the swerve on a saturday if it's going to be full of tourists.
Sunday 16 March 2014 10.16am
I so want the saturday market to be a success but I fear it will have a life of about another month. I have visited each of the three weeks it has been in existence and have bought produce on each occasion. None of it cheap and not one thing being of exceptional quality and that includes: sausages, bacon, eggs, cheese, fish and relishes. Apart from the fish I can buy any of the other items as good or better from Greensmith's
Perhaps the organisers can explain the logic and fairness of allowing an already successful local business such as Konditor and Cook who cannot be bothered to attend the market in the week when the lady from Kennington does so in all weathers but K&C can go into competion with her on the one day when she can get different clientel and sales.
Sunday 16 March 2014 10.34am
I have been going to it as I too really want it to succeed, but yesterday I went there and then to the people at Bermondsey Square, as I think I might prefer their stuff and they are friendlier. However I will keep trying.
Sunday 16 March 2014 12.47pm
their webpage is surreal...

About the Market
Lower Marsh is steeped in history as one of London’s oldest and best-loved market streets. The road is host to some of the finest independent shops and stalls in the capital. (reading this i would be expecting a full on traditional market and something more than iceland and a make your teeth glow in the dark dental surgery...)

Also (whisper it…) we’ve been tipped off about unrestricted parking just over the border into Southwark – just a short walk from Lower Marsh – which is free on Saturdays. The south side (Southwark side) of Gerridge Street and St George’s Road in particular have some free spaces for the lucky few. (don't you just love living in suburbia's weekend carpark?)

Today's new flavour is a Smarties Macaron...(er)...

(does it really get his busy on a saturday or is this a weekday pic? )
is there a better way to spend a Saturday morning in London? @chateaumarmot @LowerMarshMrkt
Sunday 16 March 2014 2.14pm
catflap wrote: there a better way to spend a Saturday morning in London? @chateaumarmot @LowerMarshMrkt

Lower Marsh, gone to the dogs. I spotted the word 'yummy' in that web link. Presumably most people who go there are in fact adults and not five year olds.

Having said that, the veggie fry up I had on Walworth Rd on Weds was now £6. Only £2 quid less than a posh one someone treated me too in another part of town.
Sunday 16 March 2014 3.07pm
[quote]Lower Marsh, gone to the dogs. I spotted the word 'yummy' in that web link. Presumably most people who go there are in fact adults and not five year olds.

i missed that gem...i can't with the word yummy for anyone over 3 years old.

so we'll keep cake lady, the veg stall, possibly the fish stall, £2.50 bags of leathery kale sweating in a plastic bag, maybe not...i'm twitching and heaving slightly at the smarties macaron...why would you do that?
Monday 17 March 2014 8.59am
Ooops, I hope nobody thinks I was making the point that K&C should attend the market every day, far from it, the opposite in fact. Those who are there all the time such as Dave the greengrocer, Kelly the flowerlady, and the lady with the cakes (beginning to sound like Florence Nightingale or someone from King Arthur's court)should receive preferential treatment for the saturday market and not have to face competition.
Catflap that really was a recent satuday morning photo, probably the first day, the only stalls you see in that part of the market during the week are the three I identified above other than that it is a barren marsh.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: