Sale of Harper Road Offices

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 21 March 2014 10.37pm
I don't know this building or its size, but why on Earth is Southwark Council selling more of its land. If this site is large enough to build housing, why aren't they building on the site, they've got the money? They're just going to end up taking all the green space around existing housing blocks and building there aren't they, so we'll all be squashed in and unhappy?
Friday 21 March 2014 11.55pm
It's outrageous. According to BNP Paribas, this site could contain 33 flats. Why isn't the council using its existing land to make good on its pledge for new homes?
Saturday 22 March 2014 12.36pm
Building homes on sites takes money and without that the site will just sit derelict indefinitely, along with all the other sites and potential sites the council has on its books that it hasn't got the money to develop. I suspect the council has taken the view is that this site is better used as an engine to gain funds from than one to expend funds on.
Saturday 22 March 2014 12.53pm
That's one view, BB, but it rather assumes the council's departments are working collaboratively and spending taxpayers' money wisely and considerately.

The other view - supported by the council's antecedents - is that, as usual disorganised and disjointed, it will dispose of the Harper Road site for x amount and then realise, probably a few weeks later, that it actually needs the site, or one very similar, at which time it will pay over the odds to acquire something similar.
Saturday 22 March 2014 1.34pm
This is true, but given the fact the council will always be strapped for cash would you rather the site sat derelict indefinitely, with the building being frequently invaded by squatters (politically motivated, verminous, and otherwise) We have enough problems around here with that as it is. I'm just hoping the site gets redeveloped quickly. I really couldn't care who does it, but I suspect that would be no time soon if I was waiting for L.B. Southwark to do it.
Saturday 22 March 2014 3.02pm
I agree with what you say, I'd just rather the council developed it.
Saturday 22 March 2014 3.35pm
I hope the money is set aside for the creation of social housing, especially as part of properly mixed developments. Sadly, I suspect it will go into the pot and be squandered on something else. :-(
Saturday 22 March 2014 9.09pm
Boroughbloke, there is money in the kitty. The council could build on this land now. I'm not sure exactly how much money is available, but I'm sure someone could make a good guess by adding up all the money developers have handed over so they don't have to include social or affordable housing in their building. If the council carry on like this, they will have the funds but no land. My concern is that they will end up building new flats on existing estates where there is a bit of space (a garden perhaps) and then we'll all be living cheek by jowl. Either that, or it will, as you say, be squandered on something else.
Saturday 22 March 2014 11.06pm
Karen I wrote:
Boroughbloke, there is money in the kitty. The council could build on this land now. I'm not sure exactly how much money is available, but I'm sure someone could make a good guess by adding up all the money developers have handed over so they don't have to include social or affordable housing in their building. If the council carry on like this, they will have the funds but no land. My concern is that they will end up building new flats on existing estates where there is a bit of space (a garden perhaps) and then we'll all be living cheek by jowl. Either that, or it will, as you say, be squandered on something else.
Cheek by jowl is a legal requirement under current planning rules in Central London. that equates to at least 60 one and two bed rabbit hutches on the site in question. Hardly an appropriate density for family homes.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: