Electronic Scale Reducer – Hydroflow

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 30 March 2014 9.56pm
Hi all

Bit of a strange question maybe, but has anyone had an ‘Electronic Scale Reducer – Hydroflow’ installed? If so, do you find any noticeable difference? I've read various on-line reviews, some glowing, some completely dismissive.

Being originally from a soft water area, I find the constant battle with limescale really frustrating, plus we’ve calculated that if this works, we should save enough on cleaning products / limescale tablets for it to have paid for itself within a year.

An even nosier question… British Gas (Homecare) has quoted us £175 for parts and installation. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks very much

Tuesday 1 April 2014 1.41pm
Although our water is hard, Thames Water add food-grade phosphate to the water supply so the ions do not easily bond and are kept in flow. I lived in a different hard water area previously and found this low cost solution did help.

However you can pick up these devices for about half the price quoted and installation is simply clipping over the pipe and plugging in. Homeserve engineers earn a generous a commision.
Tuesday 1 April 2014 5.06pm
I use a 'water imp' which is easily searchable, however I have no evidence as to if it actually had a benefit or not, but the website says that a university did some testing on it and proved that it was beneficial. so I'd recommend them.
Friday 4 April 2014 12.47pm
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do a bit more research and probably not use BG Homecare!

Friday 4 April 2014 1.53pm
Before you spend a fortune - have a look at this bad boy.

Cost me a tenner and took me about 20 mins to fit. I fitted mine on the cold water pipe feeding my Megaflo.

Maplin sell suitable power supplies too - I wired mine into the switch for the immersion heater, which I don't use.
Friday 4 April 2014 7.38pm
Such things are best descibed as utter bunkum. If buying one makes you feel better, though go ahead and make lots of people happy too by giving away your money. Why not employ Mystic Meg and get a local Catholic Priest to bless your pipes with holy water too. They might at least add some theatre to your wasting money.
Sunday 13 April 2014 6.01pm
I have installed a salt water softener (and a drinking water tap derived just before the softener pipework). No more scale, dirty shower glass, blocked up appliances... Shiny dishes and glasses... Fantastic. Amazon delivers my salt, and for a large two bedroom apartment the salt reservoir lasts for about 6 monhs. Ask me more details / come to see it if interesting.
Those electronic / electromagnetic ones in my opinion are a waste of time.
Monday 14 April 2014 8.23am
'Why not employ Mystic Meg and get a local Catholic Priest to bless your pipes with holy water too.'

Yeah, but you can't fit them under the sink.
Wednesday 16 April 2014 12.56pm
Hi all

Thanks so much for your replies.

Marco - That's very kind of you to offer. Have you had something like this fitted?: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Water-Softener-E10T/p/421700
I did think about it, but I suppose I was going for a cheap and easy option.

boroughbloke/Tolstoy: I promise to stuff any passing priests / astrologers under my sink, and I'll let you know how I get on ;-)

Wednesday 16 April 2014 2.45pm
You are welcome, Hils.

The one I have is called Tapworks Ultra 9 (for larger premises there are larger units), together with the Tapworks 22mm High Flow installation kit. The latter because I installed it in my airing cupboard, in series with the mains cold water supply to the whole flat and I didn't want reduction in pressure to the shower.
The downside is that you are not supposed to drink the water, so I also have a drinking water tap just before the descaler (until I install a new kitchen, I have to go to said airing cupboard to fill my brita with drinking water). When friends lough, I remind them that my filtered jug filled in the cupboard is better and more environmentally friendly that the one coming in plastic bottles on diesel trucks from some industrial estate in France or Italy (which we seem to think it's pure because there is a picture of the Alps on the label, but I have seen where it comes from!).
To the cost of the unit + connection kit, add quite a bit of plumbing work / copper tube / valves / drain line etc (I did it all myself).

Once in, you adjust the clock, set the water hardness (a test kit comes with it) and you forget about it. No more scale, stains on tiles and glass, no scaling of appliances... Brilliant!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: