Tower Bridge Road: TfL announces 1.5 million makeover

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 9 April 2014 1.29pm
Anyone have any strong views on this one? All looks fairly sensible, if hardly radical. Could be interesting to see whether the diagonal crossing works in this location. There can be a fairly relaxed attitude to traffic lights that could bode ill to someone right in the middle of the crossing. Things like a bus lane on TBR, where feasible, would be good, but imagine that would have to be part of a scheme with a broader remit than just Bricklayers' Arms to Grange Walk.

Related news & features

Wednesday 9 April 2014 2.14pm
I agree that it is hardly radical. Most of the makeover is paving and even though that will be an improvement, I am not holding my breath for 'the reveal'. After all, the problem with the most southern part of Tower Bridge Road is not the pavement, but a large number of empty shops, derelict bits and, most importantly, the lack of a destination. There just isn't enough reason to walk there or to the Bricklayers Arms.

I think the road could benefit from an additional crossing in between the roundabout and Rothsay Street. Many people cross the street here, to get to the busstop in front of the church.

That said, I do welcome the improvements and am looking forward to it.
Wednesday 9 April 2014 3.26pm
maurits wrote:
I agree that it is hardly radical. Most of the makeover is paving and even though that will be an improvement, I am not holding my breath for 'the reveal'. After all, the problem with the most southern part of Tower Bridge Road is not the pavement, but a large number of empty shops, derelict bits and, most importantly, the lack of a destination. There just isn't enough reason to walk there or to the Bricklayers Arms.
I think the road could benefit from an additional crossing in between the roundabout and Rothsay Street. Many people cross the street here, to get to the busstop in front of the church.

That said, I do welcome the improvements and am looking forward to it.

I agree completely.

What they could do is narrow the carriageway a bit. Certainly heading north it seems that traffic seems to assume it's a dual carriageway until it narrows and then does segregate into lane at the Grange Road/Bermondsey Street junction.

Narrow it so that the single lane is clear, and either use the space to increase the pavement or add a segregated cycle lane to a road that experiences a lot of cycle traffic.
Friday 11 April 2014 12.57pm
Guy's street wrote:
I agree completely.

What they could do is narrow the carriageway a bit. Certainly heading north it seems that traffic seems to assume it's a dual carriageway until it narrows and then does segregate into lane at the Grange Road/Bermondsey Street junction.

Narrow it so that the single lane is clear, and either use the space to increase the pavement or add a segregated cycle lane to a road that experiences a lot of cycle traffic.

Really like the segregated cycle lane idea, pity there seems to be no chance of that happening (or any cycling improvement for that matter). I would also love to see another crossing of TBR between Grange Walk and Abbey Street as the lack of one doesn't stop people crossing there, it just makes it so much more dangerous
Friday 16 January 2015 11.05am
Does anyone know when this is going to happen? It's been a while since the consultation.
Wednesday 28 January 2015 7.49pm
Work due to start by end of February, TfL's David McKenna told Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Community Council this evening.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 13 March 2015 7.25pm
Work on this scheme starts on Monday and will last for 12 weeks

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: