Where to buy in SE London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 12 April 2014 10.34am
Hi all

I'm looking to buy my first property in South-East London / Kent, and would appreciate some advice. My budget is limited (up to 130k) so I am really looking at a one bed flat, two if Ii get lucky.

At the moment I'm keen on Bexleyheath / Welling and have also looked at St Mary Cray / Orpington. I have been to Erith and was not really a fan.

Is anyone able to advise on any other areas, such as Belvedere or Abbey Wood.

I am a young female living on my own so I want to make sure I feel safe. I also would like good links to the city and remain within zones 3-5.

I appreciate with my budget I won't be able to live in the best areas, andi from Medway so am in no means a snob, but safety is a priority to me as well as good amenities and being close to a station with good proximity to the city.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Emily
Saturday 12 April 2014 7.51pm
Dear Emily
The London SE1 web site focuses upon London Bridge, Borough, Bermondsey - areas which are all within the London Borough of Southwark. If you look at a map you will see that Southwark is an inner London borough in South East London. The areas you are researching to buy are further out in what are known as the Outer London Boroughs but still south east of central London.
I suggest you carry out some further online research hopefully to find some local web sites with forums focusing specifically on those property locations of interest to you where you can put up a listing.
Good luck with your property search.
Mellin
Sunday 20 April 2014 9.30pm
You could get shared ownership round here however...
Monday 21 April 2014 7.59am
To correct Mellin, the London SE1 site concentrates on SE1 which covers parts of both Lambeth and Southwark, immediately south of the river from Lambeth Bridge in the west to just east of Tower Bridge in the east and extends about a mile southwards and as a consequence has become one of the most expensive areas in central London to buy property.
I would suggest that you google estate agents in zones 3-5 and see what is on offer and you will then get a rough idea of where you can afford to live and then check how close such areas come to your criteria.
I wish you the best of luck and hope your search is quick and successful.
Wednesday 23 April 2014 1.31pm
Chelsfield (one station south of Orpington) is very nice, I grew up there and a sister and her family still live there. Easy commute into London Bridge, Cannon St (20mins) (or change at Orpington for Victoria).
Thursday 24 April 2014 10.53am
Well, what if I bring the discussion in topic? That is, where to buy in SE1?

I am flatsharing in E&C since September. At the start it was more an "emergency" solution, I was coming from a short let and I was not having enough strength to go through flat views, selection etc.

I was scared about the bad reputation of E&C but the flat was good enough so I said "Ok, let's start and see how it's going".

After 7 months, I learnt to appreciate the area and its people. Nonetheless, the location is incredible, the transport links are amazing, there are many good local shops and restaurants. I'd like to settle down there, SE1 in general is my kind of place. Although it seems everything already too expensive... any advice?

Thanks!
Thursday 1 May 2014 10.06pm
DON'T get shared ownership.
Friday 2 May 2014 6.52am
Am intrigued by Davies comment : " DON"T get shared ownserhip" ......why not ???
Friday 2 May 2014 8.52am
Mickybar you are correct. I think absolutely the same. E&C will be very nice place very soon after all these ald blocks are gone. I heart the "shopping centre" will be done as well. and you are 10 mins walk to London Bridge. I live in Eltham/Kidbrook now, but used to live in Kennington, Oval and Elephant and Castle 7 years. Look for a place with future guys. Search for area which is planned to be developed. Good luck
Friday 2 May 2014 9.39am
There's an advert on the radio for Galliard homes, it says that they have homes ("easy commuting distance") starting from 150k, night be worth a look at their website.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: