17.8Mbit/s, the average actual fixed-line residential broadband speed in the UK

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 April 2014 10.21am
Not where I live!

Despite local politicians jumping on the bandwagon there is NO CHANGE for many in Southwark in the North of the borough and ZERO money made available to put things right because BT won't get out of bed in the morning unless we pay them to upgrade the system.

Link to OFCOM report out today
Tuesday 15 April 2014 10.44am
BT's broadband is rubbish. I have Virgin Media and my speeds are always at least 100mb down and 10mb up, even during peak times.

Are you standing in the forthcoming local elections, HHRCA?
Tuesday 15 April 2014 3.55pm
You can't really compare VM's fibre delivered broadband service piggybacking on its cable TV service with an ADSL service delivered down ancient copper wires designed for providing a basic telephone service. Many of us don't have the option of VM as we were never cabled.

Having just tested my download speed on a non BT speed tester at nearly 5pm on a school holiday week (ie lots of contention), I'm getting 16.93mbps which is more than adequate. I'd love to see it progress but feel sorrier for those running on sub 3mbps lines.
Tuesday 15 April 2014 5.05pm
marcusm wrote:
You can't really compare VM's fibre delivered broadband service piggybacking on its cable TV service with an ADSL service delivered down ancient copper wires designed for providing a basic telephone service. Many of us don't have the option of VM as we were never cabled.
Having just tested my download speed on a non BT speed tester at nearly 5pm on a school holiday week (ie lots of contention), I'm getting 16.93mbps which is more than adequate. I'd love to see it progress but feel sorrier for those running on sub 3mbps lines.

Agreed, marcusm - I'm getting the same sort of speed as you (BT line in north Southwark) - close to the national average, and quite adequate for all my purposes. I keep turning down offers to upgrade to fibre optic broadband because I just don't see any use for all that extra speed!
Tuesday 15 April 2014 10.00pm
John C wrote:
marcusm wrote:

Agreed, marcusm - I'm getting the same sort of speed as you (BT line in north Southwark) - close to the national average, and quite adequate for all my purposes. I keep turning down offers to upgrade to fibre optic broadband because I just don't see any use for all that extra speed!

I haven't upgraded to fibre as the BT Openreach engineer (who manage the network used by BT, Sky, TalkTalk etc) suggested that there was little likelihood of a decent upgrade as I live in a block. The cabling within the premises being likely, in his opinion, to reduce the actual line speed close to normal broadband rates.

Certainly, when I moved the router from an internal extension to the BT faceplate the seed ramped up from 6mbps.

For the time being, as a relatively heavy home user (multi gigs per day), I'm quite happy with 17mbps.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: