Freeview

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 17 April 2014 10.46am
Can I pick the technically minded brains of this Forum! Trying to save money and thinking about buying a freeview television, a small one,the room is box sized..I was going to reduce my cable bill by getting freeview, the trouble is living near the flyover the television reception without cable/sky/etc., is abysmal, or rather non existent. If I bought an aerial would that work with Freeview? sorry to be so thick but thought I would ask on here rather than make myself look an idiot in the shop!
Thursday 17 April 2014 11.52am
Jan, we've had some pretty good results with just a portable aerial on a television in the bedroom. It was only a cheap aerial which cost less than 10, so definitely worth a try and, if it doesn't work, you can always take it back. Strange thing is, a few years ago, when analogue TV was still the norm, we couldn't get a picture in that room, so perhaps the Freeview/digital TV signal is stronger?

Good luck!
Thursday 17 April 2014 12.22pm
Freeview signal was boosted a year or so ago - so you might find it is better now than last time you tried.

You could get a splitter for your external aerial socket and run a long cable from their to your new tv? Might be more work than you want to put in though.
Thursday 17 April 2014 1.35pm
Hi Jan,

I run my Freeview off a "One For All" camping aerial. I bought it at John Lewis several years ago for about 15 (but they do them at Curry's too), and OFA has a website where you can check your postcode for what type you need: http://www.oneforall.co.uk/aerials.html

Sometimes I need to reposition it if the people upstairs are moving about in a particular bit of their flat, and the reception can be affected by planes or idling car engines in the street but on the whole it works pretty well.

No connection to OFA/John Lewis.

Best wishes, McQ
Thursday 17 April 2014 1.39pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Can I pick the technically minded brains of this Forum! Trying to save money and thinking about buying a freeview television,

If by "freeview tv" you mean one with built in Freeview rather than a box - we had a box and aerial in my boy's room and the reception was bad. We then bought a TV with built in freeview and an aerial, and it works fine, when they play Playstation online.
Thursday 17 April 2014 4.09pm
Jan,
I believe that all TVs are now "Freeview" and have digital tuners which give much better reception than the old analogue TVs. HD Freeview is a waste of time on small TVs so no need to go down that road. If you have a satellite dish fitted then you could use that with a TV that has a satellite tuner (non Sky) which is free to view.
I would suggest that if you have a friend who owns a small flat screen TV -portable ask them to bring it round and try it at your home, that should help you resolve your problem immediately and point you in the right direction.
Good luck.
Thursday 17 April 2014 4.52pm
Jan, we have a back up small 100 hitachi unit from Argos that works treat when camping etc and run off 12v too, but the suggestion about to run a test is a good one. Thick concrete walls or some coverings can block the signal etc. And there's no London Live on HD either!
Thursday 17 April 2014 10.11pm
Dear Jan

I do not know if you have a friend with a car or someone can help you carry on the bus but Aldi down the Old Kent Road has a good TV deal from 21st April - see web link below. The thing about Aldi is you will get a 3 rather than a 1 year warranty and also a 60 day return period - so you could try out and if reception really bad you could return to the store.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/monday-21st-april/

Mellin
Monday 21 April 2014 12.17pm
Thank you everyone:-) I may ask a young friend of mine if she can bring her television down, and that Aldi deal seems really good especially as it's not a huge set, I was offered a massive 42 inch absolutely free, but that would take up an enormous amount of space in such a tiny room. Will go Aldi's when I get back...
Tuesday 22 April 2014 10.19am
Hi Jan I bought a freeview in built into the telly from Tesco last December for my bedroom that backs right onto the Mandella Way corrugated iron Warehouse and with a normal indoor arial I could only get snow on the screen but I bought a small ariel with booster that plugs into the wall and it works perfect when I have the arial near the window so I imagine where you are is more exposed outside than where I am so I am sure it would be ideal. I bought it from Argos by Tesco on OKR. As with the other products you could always take it back but I am sure it will do the trick. I too am trying to reduce my Cable bill .. the crafty so & so's keep creeping the price up and it is now extortionate !

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: