So much less plane noise?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 20 April 2014 9.33pm
Over the last few days there has seemed to me to be far less plane noise than usual. Either I am becoming deaf, the flight path has been shifted, or there is some vast conspiracy going on - and most people have already fled the UK?
Sunday 20 April 2014 10.02pm
Aircraft usually land facing into the wind. We've been experiencing easterly winds over the last few days, so the planes have been approaching LHR over Windsor, rather than over the centre of the city. Things will revert to normal once the wind swings back to the usual prevailing westerly direction.
Monday 21 April 2014 10.36am
Scott - thanks for that. Two questions though:

is there any way that we could get the wind to be more permanently shifted to come from the east as it is so much more pleasant w this arrangement. Maybe a petition on the number 10 website ;-)

dont planes take off into the wind - so would we not get all the ascending ones?
Monday 21 April 2014 11.01am
JimG, I made the same comment to a neighbour yesterday. It's been really peaceful in Waterloo; no trains, and as you say, not much in the way of airplanes. There's also been very few helicopters overhead the whole weekend; that can't be related to the wind. (Unless the bank holiday prohibits the sight-seeing tours, and if that is the case, the noise we get all weekend from helicopters is definitely the sight-seeing ones and not police/news crews.)
Monday 21 April 2014 6.45pm
Yes JimG let's get the wind direction changed permanently! I'd sign that petition!

Take off is much steeper than the approach to landing, so whilst the planes have been taking off this way, they don't make it over SE1 before heading off on their respective routes.

(Worried I'm sounding a bit like a pilot, clearly spending too much time travelling for work!)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: