Flyover demolition

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 21 April 2014 11.30am
Do the people who want the flyover demolished not realise the enormous amount of traffic it handles each day? We can not turn the clock back and re-instate the wonderful community that existed prior to the vandalism of some well meaning department back in the sixties, Tower Bridge Road lost all it's trade, Bricklayers lost 2 cinemas, we lost our lovely library, it created a berlin wall without the guards! and so on.

When the flyover was closed our tiny street turned into more of a rat run than it is, traffic would approach the traffic lights and seeing they were red swing sharply left into bartholomew street. Not at all safe at the best of times, especially when the schoolchildren go home after getting their crisps/chips etc., from the shops near the beehive pub. Our street is not wide enough to cope with vans, lorries, speeding down a street that narrow, even apart from the coaches parked. Lets hope this idea gets knocked on the head, try closing the flyover again and get traffic surveyors to put a cable across bartholomew street and monitor the traffic...not on school break times. If I was able I would measure the width of bartholomew street! Where do these people expect the thousands of vehicles to go each day if they get their way?
Monday 21 April 2014 11.48am
Totally agree with you there Jan. Often buses go over the flyover when Tower Bridge Road is piled up with traffic when the bridge has been open. Would be interesting to know where this group lives as I would say they don't live as close as us and would be no benefit to them if the flyover was pulled down.
Monday 21 April 2014 2.50pm
oh, the world turned upside down ...
Monday 21 April 2014 4.41pm
I completely understand the concerns about rat running, but wanted to mention that the flyover itself is about 8 metres wide but carries only one lane of traffic.

Traffic lanes are generally between 3 and 4.5m wide, so in theory removal could provide capacity for even more traffic - or for other road users - depending on what is done to the roundabout at Bricklayers Arms itself.
Monday 21 April 2014 4.45pm
If they re-designed the roundabout, yes it may work. But having traffic build up back to the Elephant and Castle is certainly not viable. Buses not being able to let you off to walk half way home wastes time? Going over the flyover is quicker!!
Monday 28 April 2014 11.37am
Watched the news this morning and saw the Strand underpass was closed..the traffic was backed up Waterloo bridge and beyond! Perhaps people will realise what would happen if the flyover was closed..
Tuesday 29 April 2014 4.28pm
I thought it was just me who thought about this.
I've always wanted to say to the would be flyover demolishers "Are you all mad?, don't you realize how bad the traffic jams get there even now, imagine how much worse it would be without the flyover?".

Getting two lanes on it would be good but it doesn't really seem wide enough for two when you drive over it.

But the bottleneck every rush hour underneath the flyover from the roundabout up New Kent Road where three lanes of traffic go into one is terrible and really needs re-thinking.
Wednesday 30 April 2014 9.40am
I think about this too. But if you demolish the flyover there must be room for 2-3 new lanes at ground level to compensate.
No extra congestion at all potentially.
Wednesday 30 April 2014 11.52am
Jan, i have often thought that Bartholomew Street should be a cul-de-sac with no exit at the New Kent Road. But that's for the likes of Trinity Square etc. The school wouldnt like it because of all their coaches but they have sequestered the old pilgrims park into their territory and could easily have a coach area.

Perhaps it's an idea for a nice councillor to take up alongside any flyover decision (which seems to be gaining a lot of interest and support).
Thursday 1 May 2014 9.56pm
johnnytee wrote:
I think about this too. But if you demolish the flyover there must be room for 2-3 new lanes at ground level to compensate.
No extra congestion at all potentially.

Um, not really as the whole thing about the flyover is it flies over the traffic lanes on the ground. You don't get extra traffic lanes on the ground by demolishing the flyover you just lose the lanes over the top.

Go and have a good look.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: