Olivier statue - proposed relocation.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 23 April 2014 3.56pm
I would would very much like to see the statue of Laurence Olivier moved to a new location - and the refurbished terrace of 'his' Theatre sounds the ideal place.

Friends have agreed with me that it is a somewhat 'lack-lustre' monument to this wonderful actor, and founder of the National Theatre. The proposed - and promised - lighting never materialised and the statue disappears into the darkness, at night. The whole exterior of the NT is dark and uninviting, particularly when approaching from Waterloo Bridge steps. Why on earth there is no lighting in the trees is beyond me.

Let's move this giant of the Theatre to somewhere more suitable - which should have been considered in the first place, by those responsible.
Friday 25 April 2014 1.18pm
Ha! They're NOT moving it. Barmy, Miss Babs :(
Saturday 26 April 2014 4.58pm
Sadly, it is probably the second worst statue in SE1 (beaten only by the ridiculous Terence Cuneo in Waterloo station.)

Steven Berkoff isn't fond of it either!
Monday 28 April 2014 5.20pm
I responded to, and agreed with, Berkoff in the Standard after reading his piece.
Monday 28 April 2014 10.07pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
Sadly, it is probably the second worst statue in SE1 (beaten only by the ridiculous Terence Cuneo in Waterloo station.)

Agree, the Olivier statue is a truly weedy affair. But the lifeless "Dancers" statue in front of the Park Plaza hotel must be a contender for the worst in SE1.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4342

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: