Protect The Ancient Cross Bones Graveyard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 23 April 2014 5.19pm
The remarkable ancient Cross Bones graveyard, resting place for the outcast dead, is under threat. Please think about signing the petition to protect it.

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Phil
Wednesday 23 April 2014 5.36pm
PhilW wrote:
The remarkable ancient Cross Bones graveyard, resting place for the outcast dead, is under threat. Please think about signing the petition to protect it.
Apologies if this has already been posted.

Phil

Phil - what's the actual 'threat'? The website doesn't seem to detail any immediate or long-term threat. Indeed it quotes TfL as confirming 'Their planning guidelines make clear the particular constraints relating to the Crossbones Graveyard area, which is marked on their plans as public open land'. The petition is mostly about developing it as a memorial garden. Instead of jumping on the 'protest' wagon why not congratulate TfL and everybody else quoted on the Crossbones News page at http://www.crossbones.org.uk/#/cross-bones-news/4530852035 for their support?
Wednesday 23 April 2014 5.45pm
Note that the petition was started in 2008.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 April 2014 5.49pm
I am humbly corrected. I did post this apparently misunderstanding something someone told me last night and without checking.
Wednesday 23 April 2014 6.18pm
Vaguely connected, what's the deal with regard the tree petition that's gone up on the corner wall? Much though I understand the desire to keep it if, as appears to be the case from looking at its base, it is undermining the foundations of the school, I imagine there could be no choice other than to remove it.
Wednesday 23 April 2014 6.37pm
The application to fell the tree has been withdrawn by the applicant (after it got an unfavourable reception from the council).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 23 April 2014 7.41pm
Ah! Thanks for that, James.
Thursday 24 April 2014 8.11am
James, do you know everything? I am always amazed at how quickly you give us information; what would we do without you?
Thursday 24 April 2014 12.38pm
Following on from the story about the Laurence Olivier statue perhaps we should have a James Hatts statue were the Maggie Hamlin was intended at St. George the Martyr church 'piazza'. So, what happened to that one... the Maggie that is?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: