Pawn shops at the Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 25 April 2014 8.18am
Does anyone remember Harry Keeble manager at Harvey & Thompson Pawn brokers at Newington Butte 125/127 corner of Crampton St era 1940 plus
Friday 25 April 2014 8.53am
Lived in Crampton St from 1954 to 1971 at the pawn shop on the corner of Newington butts opposite the churchyard, drank at The Pineapple under draper ouse
Turners shoe shop was a deaf geezer, unwins was the paper shop, Mrs James (welsh) was the local milk an bread, Mrs nossick was habadashary opposite the Hampton court palace, safe as houses down clock place near the alms houses, went to Crampton primary in peacock st, my memories are of a safe an wonderful area that I am proud to have lived my early years, to this day people in Australia still reckon the elephant is an was a rough and tumble place, but it will always be my home in my heart, I will attempt to download some photos of my gaff, don't hold ya breadth
Cheebs
Friday 25 April 2014 8.57am
OK, way back, my grandmother (and her mum) worked in the tripe shop at Clock Place.
She met my Grandad there (this would have been about 1920)
Was the tripe shop there until the 1950's Draper Estate development?
Friday 25 April 2014 8.14pm
Cheebs wrote:
Lived in Crampton St from 1954 to 1971 at the pawn shop on the corner of Newington butts opposite the churchyard, drank at The Pineapple under draper ouse
Turners shoe shop was a deaf geezer, unwins was the paper shop, Mrs James (welsh) was the local milk an bread, Mrs nossick was habadashary opposite the Hampton court palace, safe as houses down clock place near the alms houses, went to Crampton primary in peacock st, my memories are of a safe an wonderful area that I am proud to have lived my early years, to this day people in Australia still reckon the elephant is an was a rough and tumble place, but it will always be my home in my heart, I will attempt to download some photos of my gaff, don't hold ya breadth
Cheebs

Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of the south side of the E&C, Cheebs.

I live in Draper House, so your recollections are like a time travel machine for me!

This Pineapple you mention, where exactly was it located? Was it a pub, bar or club?

If you do find the time to post any pictures of the area I would be most grateful: the Draper Residents Association is working on some events to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the completion of our estate, and any testimonials (visual or otherwise) would be very useful to give our younger residents a sense of the history of their surroundings.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: