Southwark Leaders Debate 25th April 2014

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 25 April 2014 9.11pm
Just returned from Southwark leaders Debate at 600 Old Kent Road.. a very poorly presented political pawn show.. hardly any time allowed for questions from the people who elect this bunch ( or don't depending on whether they can be bothered to go to the polling station) ...a dispiriting waste of time.. but REALLY I should have known better :(
Saturday 26 April 2014 10.36am
eek, that is bad. the 'community action' southwark one sounds as if it's going to be even less 'democratic' (as in please send us your questions beforehand, allegedly so they can get the ball rolling). there's always the vote none of the above/spoiling the ballot option, which is one way of showing the relevance of the whole process?
Saturday 26 April 2014 1.29pm
Hi pros
Yes, I will go to the community action debate as well to see if they do any better. IMHO it is a sign of the sick state of our democracy when there appears to be so little genuine debate in the run up to a significant election.
Saturday 26 April 2014 5.00pm
I'd be interested in going to the Community Action hustings, but it's on a weekday afternoon (3-5pm on Thursday 8th May at Southwark Cathedral - http://casouthwark.org.uk/events-training/events/local-election-2014-hustings).

Does anyone know of any hustings that members of the community who have 9-5 (or more) jobs can get to?
Saturday 26 April 2014 5.32pm
Phil.. not only that but from the advertising blurb it appears to be directed towards the 'community and voluntary sector'; it says "Everyone knows that the next five years are going to be tough, with further big budget cuts impacting on local charities. We think this is a great opportunity to ask the politicians what their vision is for Southwark and the role they feel the voluntary sector plays in achieving it" so it looks like its for people working in this sector who can take time off in their busy working week to attend. .. not really for joe public then???
Friday 9 May 2014 5.07pm
did you get to go, londonbridge69? what did you or anyone else who went make of it? obi of occupy london was livestreaming, i watched a bit earlier today (the sound's a bit troubled) and wanted to throw things at my computer :)

here's the link to one part of it, you can watch the other bits on the occupy bambuser page http://t.co/x9ByU4biRX

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: