Wheatsheaf and all that is depressing happening to SE1..

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 27 April 2014 9.54am
Friend's birthday yesterday. He told everyone to go to The Wheatsheaf. Hadn't been there for ages. Bought two pints and two small gin and tonics. Bill was 23. Surely some mistake? Asked the staff. No. Really? Really??

Was told a now classic line for me 'you're right next to the Shard, you should expect to pay prices like this. This is a very expensive area'

Don't care about that so much but it's very depressing what is happening around here these days. If you ain't loaded please leave town seems to be the general message being punted out there. Not good for the soul of the city for sure..

Anyway moral of the story is The Wheatsheaf is a rip off. Ta.
Sunday 27 April 2014 10.17am
I assume that it'd be 4.50 for a pint and 7 for a G&T? Although this is expensive, they are common prices across all of central London and certaintly not restricted to the Wheatsheaf...

Personally I think the biggest scandal is the cost of a small glass of wine. The cheapest quality wine can set you back 6 or 7, which you could buy a whole bottle for in s supermarket.
Sunday 27 April 2014 10.32am
We were in Maltby Street yesterday and bought a bottle of African piri-piri sauce that I really like. It's expensive but the bottle goes a long way. The same man also sells sandwiches and my partner ordered a steak sandwich, without looking at the price.

We were shocked to be paying 12 for a normal size steak sandwich. Not ever again.

I do agree that this is depressing.
Sunday 27 April 2014 10.43am
You should have gone to The Market Porter or southwark tavern instead. Much more reasonably priced. That said no wonder pubs are going out of business if they think that those prices are acceptable. The wheatsheaf is a pub, not a wine bar or nightclub, so it should charge accordingly.
Sunday 27 April 2014 11.05am
agree dharle a rip off. Went to a fringe theatre bar recently 2x glasses white wine ( no doubt plonk) ordinary size - bar man said that's 15.00 please - I said sorry not a bottle 2 x glasses - he YEAH that's two glasses! But at least it stops me overindulging I suppose
Sunday 27 April 2014 2.46pm
Was in Borough Market today and was shocked at the price of a burger, 6 and 1 for cheese?? That's expensive!
Sunday 27 April 2014 4.31pm
it wasn't the prices per se (I am more than used to OTT London pricing) but more the fact this used to be a pub for everyone and anyone, not a fancy wine bar or cocktail joint - and now, like so much of SE1, it is becoming a pub purely for the gentrified few (of which i am probably one anyway). They were quite brazen about that fact and that's what upset me really....

But yes if it wasn't my mates birthday i'd have been at the Market Porter as well...
Sunday 27 April 2014 4.39pm
therunningman wrote:
it wasn't the prices per se (I am more than used to OTT London pricing) but more the fact this used to be a pub for everyone and anyone, not a fancy wine bar or cocktail joint - and now, like so much of SE1, it is becoming a pub purely for the gentrified few (of which i am probably one anyway). They were quite brazen about that fact and that's what upset me really....
But yes if it wasn't my mates birthday i'd have been at the Market Porter as well...

Apparently the new proprietors of the St James Tavern in St James road (bit outside SE1 but still) are quite brazen about "altering the clientele".
Monday 28 April 2014 11.08am
boroughonian wrote:
therunningman wrote:

Apparently the new proprietors of the St James Tavern in St James road (bit outside SE1 but still) are quite brazen about "altering the clientele".

I never went in the St James Tavern as it was, but there are plenty of the more 'down-market' pubs nearby which by all accounts are struggling a bit for business at the moment, so one in the area going a bit more upmarket is probably no bad thing for the other pubs around the Blue. After all, the demographic in that area is rapidly changing with the Bermondsey Spa development.
Monday 28 April 2014 1.51pm
Guy's street wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
therunningman wrote:

I never went in the St James Tavern as it was, but there are plenty of the more 'down-market' pubs nearby which by all accounts are struggling a bit for business at the moment, so one in the area going a bit more upmarket is probably no bad thing for the other pubs around the Blue. After all, the demographic in that area is rapidly changing with the Bermondsey Spa development.

Point taken, though that will be of no comfort to those that drank in the St James as it was, also I don't think we quite know what "they" have in store for the Blue.

The demographic in that area is being added to, those that were there still are.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: