New Sainsbury's, Spa Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 2 May 2014 1.28pm
If I'm right Sainsbury's have applied to open a branch in Spa Road, in the new development where the old One Stop Shop was. I suppose it's symptomatic of the growing population in the area, but I'm not enthused given the strong and growing food culture of the area.

How nice it would be if these big boys of retailing could emulate the ability of Carrefour and others in France who are able to stock locally produced food. Just think of the good PR and higher value sales they could win if they stocked the ice cream, cheese, honey, beer, meat, cakes etc etc of the local producers a few moments away.
Friday 2 May 2014 1.32pm
You're right Mark- that would be great but I don't think that concept exists in the UK.
Yesterday I shopped in a little Waitrose in Muswell Hill and was impressed with the selection of goods on offer, if only we had that in our neighbourhood...
Tuesday 6 May 2014 10.37pm
Mark Roelofsen wrote:
If I'm right Sainsbury's have applied to open a branch in Spa Road, in the new development where the old One Stop Shop was. I suppose it's symptomatic of the growing population in the area, but I'm not enthused given the strong and growing food culture of the area.
How nice it would be if these big boys of retailing could emulate the ability of Carrefour and others in France who are able to stock locally produced food. Just think of the good PR and higher value sales they could win if they stocked the ice cream, cheese, honey, beer, meat, cakes etc etc of the local producers a few moments away.

Do we really need another Sainsbury's, or any sort of supermarket for that matter, in this area? We already have a Sainsbury's local 5 minutes away on TBR and a Coop on the corner of Spa Rd opposite St. James's. Then there's the little supermarket/corner shop on Grange Rd about a minute away.

Picking up on Mark's original email, wouldn't it be great if someone took over one of the empty shops on Spa Rd and stocked it with goods from all the suppliers that are currently only open to the public on Saturdays at Spa Terminus, Maltby St and Bermondsey Sq. The space on the ground floor of the Bolanachi building springs to mind.

I guess in this country Budgen's might be the closest we have to a supermarket chain stocking locally produced foods.
Saturday 22 November 2014 12.16pm
http://www.se16.com/2642-sainsburys-local-now-open-in-spa-road

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 23 November 2014 9.57pm
Nice to have sainsburys in the neighbourhood, however I feel a little disappointed as its really small, so a really limited amount of fresh produce available. Handy as it's open on Sunday morning so I'm sure I'll be back.
Tuesday 23 December 2014 10.57am
Se16lucy wrote:
Nice to have sainsburys in the neighbourhood, however I feel a little disappointed as its really small, so a really limited amount of fresh produce available. Handy as it's open on Sunday morning so I'm sure I'll be back.
I don't think it is any smaller than TBR branch in floor space. It is very handy, and it is refreshing to find helpful & cheerful staff.
Friday 26 December 2014 12.07am
Not delirious about Sainsburys, hate those talking "self service" tills and overpriced, but was in the new Spa Road branch on Christmas Eve and all the staff were really lovely.
Got some good value flowers, wine and things but my heart still belongs to the Co Op on Jamaica Road.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: