Sainsbury's refurb at Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 8 May 2014 6.01pm
Closed for all next week. I was amazed to realise it has been open for six years now - and certainly at the start they didn't really understand the area so the product mix was wrong. I quite liked all those Sainsbury's Basics, though.....

Apparently they are now installing a Costa Coffee (though not clear whether real one or one of those machines) and some sort of bakery counter.

Here's hoping that Waitrose open at The Place at London Bridge if not somewhere closer!
Thursday 8 May 2014 8.45pm
JRidley wrote:
certainly at the start they didn't really understand the area so the product mix was wrong

It's an awful store and has been from the off. Being kind, it's very "unclean" and the product range is rubbish. The only nice thing I can say is that the staff are always polite and helpful, but that's the only positive and it in no way makes up for traipsing all the way down there with a list only to find that they have eggs but no bacon or they have no frozen pizza for the kids but only one costing 6!

The supermarket giants should concentrate on running supermarkets and leave convenience stores to those who know how to run them. My local "corner shop" stocks absolutely everything bar fresh meat and will get in anything I want, thereby selling everything I need on a convenience basis.
Thursday 8 May 2014 9.57pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
JRidley wrote:
certainly at the start they didn't really understand the area so the product mix was wrong

It's an awful store and has been from the off. Being kind, it's very "unclean" and the product range is rubbish. The only nice thing I can say is that the staff are always polite and helpful, but that's the only positive and it in no way makes up for traipsing all the way down there with a list only to find that they have eggs but no bacon or they have no frozen pizza for the kids but only one costing 6!

The supermarket giants should concentrate on running supermarkets and leave convenience stores to those who know how to run them. My local "corner shop" stocks absolutely everything bar fresh meat and will get in anything I want, thereby selling everything I need on a convenience basis.

I don't think it is an awful store at all: everything I need they seem to have. And, indeed, very good customer service.
Thursday 8 May 2014 10.34pm
Tesco Old Kent Road is always a pleasure to shop in, The staff are always friendly and helpful - and that big Turkish supermarket in Southwark Park Road is oustandingly good - wonderful range of fruit (medlars - where else can you get them?!)and the bread is to die for. Sainsbury's have lost their way - they used to be tops for pies, bacon and cheese but it's all a bit sad now.
Friday 9 May 2014 2.33am
I'm with maurits - I shop there all the time and the staff are great and they always had what I needed (and expected) from a local shop. I'm amazed it's been 6 years as well! Interested to see the new layout.
Friday 9 May 2014 10.52pm
Short of building out, I don't know how they will 'improve' the place. I use it for odds'n'sods but how/why people do a week's shop in such an expensive place is beyond me.....and none of my business, lol.

The 'self-service' tills break down on a regular basis and, except for the lunch/teatime rush, most of the tills are closed.

Yes, the staff are courteous to a fault - sometimes, though, when one has been queuing for 10 minutes, losing the will to live along the way, a quick transaction and exit is all that is required.

Having said that, it's better than rudeness and the dreadful OKR and TBR Tesco staff. I once scanned a cucumber at the self-service, in the latter - and it came out as a 'crusty roll'..........:p

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: