Tesco Express TBR and the things we take for granted.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 11 May 2014 12.04pm
In another thread I read remarks about customer service in our local supermarkets. Although I recognise that we all have different experiences, I feel I want to share my story.

I often go to Tesco Express on Tower Bridge Road, not because I particularly value the quality of the shop, but simply because it is only a minute away from where I live: a convenience store indeed. I generally have no complaints about the staff and queuing up for a till in London is a fact of life, just like waiting for the next tube. I have long ago decided that that is not going to affect the quality of my life.

But there is one thing about this Tesco Express that is quite remarkable. It is one of the security guards. A tall African man with the friendliest demeanour possible. His name is Bertin and he is from Ivory Coast. Bertin welcomes each customer as if he is genuinely happy to see them (and perhaps he really is) His cheerful expression, warmth and helpfulness are a blessing. He loves a natter, will always ask how the dog is and we shake hands each time I rush in to get my milk and a paper.

Make no mistake. Being a security guard must be a daunting job. Day in, day out, standing in between nervous automatic doors, where it is most of time windy, cold and wet, seeing to it that people don't steal. I am sure that his job description will show some more responsibilities, but the essence of it will be prevention and that is never exciting. A job, moreover, that goes largely unnoticed and certainly not one in which one ever gets a hello or goodbye let alone a thank you.

Bertin gives me, each day, a few seconds of happiness, warmth and recognition. I am grateful for that.

I am writing this not only because it matters to me. Bertin makes me aware of a workforce that I had forgotten about and had taken for granted. But if that man manages to make me feel like this, he deserves a post on this forum. And with him, thousands of others.

That's of my chest.
Sunday 11 May 2014 12.25pm
Hi,
I'm the store manager at the Tesco Metro on Tooley Street, thanks for this great feedback, I'll make sure I pass it on to the store team for you.
Mark
Sunday 11 May 2014 12.26pm
Glad you mentioned it, he is a such a nice guy. Polite and genuine, he wasn't there last Saturday when I popped it, I thought he had left. It was his day off!!
Sunday 11 May 2014 12.32pm
This thread has properly warmed my cockles.
Sunday 11 May 2014 12.55pm
Seconded! The man is a legend - I always make a point of saying hi and bye to him when I visit that store.
Sunday 11 May 2014 3.41pm
I agree - the chap is lovely. Thanks so much, Maurits, for telling his story.
Sunday 11 May 2014 4.58pm
Bertin sounds like a great example of how all of us should behave towards each other.

Well done to MarkPooley for passing on the praise to the store team: I hope Tesco will do the right thing and reward Bertin for his kindness.
Sunday 11 May 2014 6.36pm
Please pass on my thanks to Bertin as well!
He is a really lovely considerate guy and as helpful and welcoming as anyone can be and often hands me a basket as I go in. (Which I don't that often it's not that close to me but he always seems to remember me)
It makes a huge difference to customers to have such a lovely guy on the staff.
Sunday 11 May 2014 7.31pm
I can only agree - this gentleman is amazing. Goes way and beyond the call of duty.
Sunday 11 May 2014 7.47pm
Another vote for Bertin from me. Always ready to help and always very welcoming.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: