Pointing and brick work

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 13 May 2014 7.21am
Hi there,

I've had lots of good advice from the forum over the years, and hope you can help again! We have a Victorian house, and are getting some water coming in, either from the roof, or from the external bricks. I am getting some roofers to come and have a look, but I also think that we need someone to look at the brickwork and see if that needs work. I also need someone to do some work on the pointing. Any suggestions of good builders / workers greatfully received please... Have a lovely day SE1-ers!
Tuesday 13 May 2014 9.50am
Hi Lazy i
Before you do any of that, check your gutters and downpipes for blocks (leaves, moss, plants) and leaks first. Often the cause of problems, especially on older properties. Also, do you have a chimney - again, these are often problematic even when the roof is sound?
(Sister of a builder but, unfortunately, he's not local.)
Best wishes, McQ
Tuesday 13 May 2014 9.08pm
McQ,

Thank you so much for responding. This was the problem with the first leak in one of the bedrooms when we first moved in - totally blocked gutter. However, we have since cleared it, and there continues to be a wet patch about a third of the way down the wall, where the bricks are damp, which makes me think it must be getting in through the bricks - not the roof. I am having some roofers come and check it out too, but I am wary of decorating until I'm 100% sure it doesn't happen again...

Thanks again!

L
Thursday 15 May 2014 12.23am
Is It below your bath room. ? just a thought
Wednesday 27 August 2014 9.01pm
Hi All,

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Unfortunately no, not below the bathroom... and the roof has now been fixed and the gutters are spotless! A recommendation for someone to do the re-pointing is still needed if there are any suggestions out there. Best, LI.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: