Parking Fine Freda Street Se1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 13 May 2014 11.39am
Hi

Just been given a parking fine for parking outside the new Tesco's on the corner of Old Jamaica Street and Freda Street! Is it just me, or does it look like it is a legal parking area? I have also seen other people parking there... Very annoying. If others have received fines here too, perhaps Tesco's could add appropriate signage advising that it's not a designated parking area - Southwark won't as it's too lucrative.
Zoe
Tuesday 13 May 2014 9.10pm
I too have wondered about this, I personally think no one should park there as it's a nice little area, but I agree about the lack of clear signage. Why is there a section of lowered pavement if it is not to be used for parking.

If it's a council issued notice then take photos of the area and appeal it.
Wednesday 14 May 2014 8.07am
In my opinion, the cobbled area and presence of a Freda Street sign demonstrate it is a public highway, though it could be argued that the start of the smooth paving could demarcate a pedestrianised area, which is the rationale of the council. What was the contravention code on your PCN?

However, no ticket issued there is valid as it is not yet subject to signage and the CPZ hasn't been yet amended. As such, in theory, anyone can park there for as long as they like. Just send in reps saying no signage, etc

I had this debate with a council manager and warden stood there about three weeks ago when they tried to ask my wife to move the car when i was in Tesco. They conceded my point, though I to a certain extent conceded theirs: it is dangerous to park there, especially bearing in mind traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian, not expecting you to turn so sharply from Abbey Street. For that reason alone, I do think twice.

Best of the luck with the ticket. There shouldn't be any difficulty as "the contravention did not occur".
Wednesday 14 May 2014 8.40am
Hi Gavin

Thanks for that helpful and positive reply. The code is 624 "parked with one or more wheels on or over a footpath or any part of a road other than a carriageway" .
Sunday 18 May 2014 10.20pm
tali wrote:
Hi Gavin
Thanks for that helpful and positive reply. The code is 624 "parked with one or more wheels on or over a footpath or any part of a road other than a carriageway" .

A lot of SE1 has firm restrictions regarding wheels on the pavement - if that area is covered by that ruling and they have given you photographic evidence, then unfortunately you have been caught bang to rights.
Monday 19 May 2014 7.49am
it is illegal to park on the pavement in London in any borough so i think as Eileen says you will have to pay up
Monday 19 May 2014 8.44am
Gavin Smith wrote:
I had this debate with a council manager and warden stood there about three weeks ago when they tried to ask my wife to move the car..... it is dangerous to park there, especially bearing in mind traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian, .....Best of the luck with the ticket. There shouldn't be any difficulty as "the contravention did not occur".

A great demonstration of C21 ethics: "I know it's dangerous for others, but I'll keep on doing it until there's a sign that tells me not to. What's more, I'll argue the toss about it and encourage others to find ways not to get a ticket for doing it."

Shame.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 19 May 2014 8.55am
Ivanhoe, your comments aren't very helpful and you have taken my contents entirely out of context. Read my post again and explain why.

The fact is that, as things stand, Freda Street is just that: a street. Any vehicle can enter, drive down it and proceed so far as they can (to the bollards) or indeed park there. There are no signs prohibiting vehicular traffic and none forbidding parking. In fact, the Freda Street road sign positively suggests that vehicles can enter.

The simple fact of the matter is that the contravention the original poster was ticketed for did not occur. He was parked on a road which was not subject to parking control. To be parked with wheels on a pavement an area must be designated as such. There is "case law"/precedent emanating from the parking adjudicators to this effect.

My post concluded by saying that, as a result of my conversation with the traffic warden and his manager, I took his point - you will see my comments saying that I would think twice about parking there again.

However, if it is that dangerous, why haven't Southwark put signs up prohibiting vehicular traffic?

I reiterate my best wishes to the original poster in successfully challenging his parking tickets and to anyone else. You obviously live in some idyllic world, Ivanhoe. Normal people live in the real world and don't deserve to fork out 80 on a parking ticket, especially when there is no legal basis for such a ticket. Whether or not I would choose to park there again, knowing what I know, is neither here nor there.
Monday 19 May 2014 10.10am
Gavin Smith wrote:
There are no signs prohibiting vehicular traffic and none forbidding parking. In fact, the Freda Street road sign positively suggests that vehicles can enter. .
However, you assessed it yourself, decided that it was dangerous to others, but went ahead and parked there on the basis that you thought you could get away with it.
Gavin Smith wrote:
Whether or not I would choose to park there again, knowing what I know, is neither here nor there.
Actually, it's exactly the point I'm making. People would rather do things that they know are inconsiderate or dangerous, as long as there's no law against it, and then will go to great lengths arguing the toss. Shame.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network