Parking Space Question

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 19 May 2014 12.49pm
Hi all

Iíve been thinking about renting out my parking space for a while now as I donít have a car, but Iím not really sure how to go about it. Has anyone here had any experience of doing this? Would you recommend using one of the official sites ( etc), or would I be better off going low tech and putting a notice in a newsagents or something?

Also, what would be the going rate for a parking space, (unfortunately just within the congestion charging zone) within easy walking distance of London Bridge?

Any ideas / suggestions welcome.

Monday 19 May 2014 1.06pm
I would use gumtree rather than the newsagent, to reach more people. Have you researched other local parking spaces, to see what people are charging? Dedicated websites will charge fees but will probably attract a higher rental price. Maybe try a site first then when you get used to it and know what to expect you could go it alone.
Monday 19 May 2014 1.07pm
Make sure you're entitled to sub-let your parking space first. Many leasehold properties do not allow you to split the demise i.e. rent the parking space seperatley from the flat/house if this is applicable to your situation. If you can you have to decide if you want to try to attract short or long term renters. Short term are probably easier through one of the websites.
Tuesday 20 May 2014 11.23am
Hi guys

Thanks for the advice. I've looked in my lease and it doesn't say anyhting, so I think I'm OK. I was hoping for a long lease as it seemed like less hassle maybe?

I've never really used Gumtree, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks again

Thursday 22 May 2014 7.40pm
The first website you mentioned is poorly managed. They terminate agreements with zero notice. Renters have been very angry and the website administrators only care about not having legal action taken against them from the property/land owners. All they effectively do is serve as an intermediary and get paid for doing absolutely nothing. Go solo. But you telling the rest of the area on a website like this has only given you extra competition ;)

They have also increased their subscription fee's from renters to the point where it has made the prices rocket. It would not be people like yourself who benefit, but the website. Only speaking from personal experience.
Thursday 26 June 2014 1.50am
If the parking area is secure i.e. locked up check that the other people don't object as security may be an issue

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: