Shoe Disposal

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 19 May 2014 11.46pm
Does anyone know of a shoe disposal/donation dumpster in Southwark?
I've seen them in the past, but can't remember where exactly.
I'd prefer one to the east of TBR, between there and Surrey Quays if possible.
I've tried calling the Council for info, but couldn't make a connection, no ringing tone, and CALL FAILED on my screen.
I've emailed them, but as yet no response.
My wife has more shoes than Imelda Marcos, but has decided to have a clear-out.
I have a feeling that this will presage a weekend trip to Madrid to replenish supplies somewhere along the Gran Via.
My wife's mantra is, "I didn't marry a black cab driver so that I could go shopping in Primark."
Tuesday 20 May 2014 8.05am
This document:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/120/local_recycling_centres

shows where you can find shoe recycling bins (see far right hand column of the table)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 20 May 2014 10.43am
If they're in reasonable wearable condition then the other option is one of the many charity shops. :-) New stock donations are always welcome.
Tuesday 20 May 2014 11.00am
James Hatts wrote:
This document:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/120/local_recycling_centres

shows where you can find shoe recycling bins (see far right hand column of the table)

Thanks James, I will check their condition and maybe take Sophie's advice, but failing that I now have several options.
Tuesday 20 May 2014 1.55pm
SophieLondon wrote:
If they're in reasonable wearable condition then the other option is one of the many charity shops. :-) New stock donations are always welcome.

Hi Sophie,
I'd thought of charity shops initially, but I was unsure, (until I checked), on the condition of the shoes and boots that were in the firing line.
I probably had my shoes in mind, by the time that I get around to kissing them goodbye they are fit for the knacker's yard.
My wife however, maybe like a lot of fashion conscious women, becomes bored with them as she walks away from Nicholas Kirkwood or Kurt Geiger, and if she glances in Russell & Bromley's window, then the ones that she's just bought have to get ready for early retirement.
Eventually I took the old ones in question to a shop in Albion St. SE16.
Wednesday 21 May 2014 8.06am
If they're in as good nick as you say then you don't need to leave the house - post them on freecycle and people will collect them from your door.
Wednesday 21 May 2014 10.53pm
reece wrote:
If they're in as good nick as you say then you don't need to leave the house - post them on freecycle and people will collect them from your door.

Yes, they were good reece, but now they've gone to a charity shop.
Thursday 22 May 2014 9.53am
Tom if your Missus takes a size 8, has bunions let me know where you took them! lol I used to love high heeled shoes, my favourite pair was a scarlet 4" heel, and the hussey that I was at that time wore a matching lipstick! Even though those days are well past I still stand and drool over a gorgeous pair of heels! I understand where your wife is coming from..:-)
Thursday 22 May 2014 10.56am
Eat your heart out Jan, she takes a 38, (5.5), or a 38.5, (6.) No bunions, but she did have Morton's neuromas, (nerve pain), in both feet a while back.
These were greatly alleviated by minor surgery, but she had discomfort when walking for a while.
She favours flats or kitten heels now, but like Arnie, she'll be back!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: