Today's Elections

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
Thursday 22 May 2014 10.32am
I have just returned from casting my votes (Bishops Ward) and must say how elated and suprised I feel that so many people are making the effort to get to their polling station, from old men who can barely walk to young mums pushing their children in their prams, so varied and so good to see.

I cannot remember ever seeing a continuous stream of voters such as I have witnessed today, I don't know the causes but it has been good to witness.

Well done to all of you who have bothered to get out and vote.

To those who haven't yet voted please do so if you can.

Related news & features

Thursday 22 May 2014 10.55am
I was also pleasantly surprised to see that there was a steady stream of voters at my polling station.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 22 May 2014 12.01pm
I sent off my postal vote a while ago. So convenient (even though there are those on this forum who think that this makes me some kind of second class citizen who's almost undoubtedly engaging in electoral fraud ;0))

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 22 May 2014 12.18pm
Well postal voting does seem to be open to all kinds of electoral fraud that is harder to do at the polling station in person.

It should be tightened up (and I say this as someone who has worked at polling stations and at the counts many times so I know the procedures).

You are not dodgy necessarily, but you certainly are more suspicious ;-)
Thursday 22 May 2014 12.30pm
When I went in this morning, all I was asked for was my name and address - no proof required.

So as long as you know your neighbour's name, you can fraudulently vote on their behalf.
Thursday 22 May 2014 12.36pm
sure, but you dont know if your neighbour has a postal vote already, has already voted in person, or will go along later. Then they will *know* there has been fraud attempted.

It is a risk - you might be remembered by staff. And how many times can you do that, only once per polling station? Not enough to affect the result.

Compare that to postal vote fraud where they find whole boxes of dud votes. Its people like Ivanhoe who you need to watch :-p
Thursday 22 May 2014 12.38pm
This is still the thing that surprises me most.

I always take my polling card, even though it's not needed, and nobody asks to look at it. Then, having read out your own details, there's plenty of time to memorise anybody who lives near you.

Anyway, I voted (once), as did a steady stream of others this morning at Tower Bridge Primary School.
Thursday 22 May 2014 12.50pm
johnnytee wrote:
Well postal voting does seem to be open to all kinds of electoral fraud that is harder to do at the polling station in person.

In what way?

I have to sign when voting, which presumably gets checked to my original specimen signature on the electoral register in the same way that I assume it does at a polling booth.

When the (?annual?) voting census form comes, I fill in just the same info as people who vote at a polling station. Therefore, I assume that they've only got the same details to check against for personal voters as they have for postal voters. If I wanted to falsify an entry on the census and didn't ask for a postal vote, I assume I could still go to the polling station and vote in someone else's name. I'd have the polling card, and I'd have to replicate the same (faked) signature at the booth as I would have to do on the postal vote.

I can't see how postal voting is more open to fraud, but would love to know. It's a commonly-made criticism of postal voting, so I assume that either there's some grounds to it or that it's a misunderstanding.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 22 May 2014 1.20pm
I voted by post once, when I was working away from home. Otherwise I've voted in person at every election (at least to the best of my recollection) for the last 50 years.

I vote because it's my DUTY (after all, how can I complain about the government or about local politicians or about the foolishness of the electorate if I haven't bothered to vote?).

I vote in person at the polling station on polling day because it's much more FUN than filling in a form and posting it off in advance. (And I only made my mind up about awarding the final X when I was standing in the voting booth.)
Thursday 22 May 2014 1.56pm
Lots of people voting in my station too. Spoke to one girl who had just turned 18 and arrived with her mum so she could 'show her the ropes'; that was nice to see.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: