What used to be where Pizza Express is?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 23 May 2014 8.33pm
Does anyone know what used to be where Pizza Express on Bankside is?

I'm fascinated by the development of this whole area. Are there any good sites with photos of this strip of land through the ages?
Friday 23 May 2014 8.36pm
I think it might of been the old Courage brewery.

As ever I stand to be corrected!

Saturday 24 May 2014 9.52am
Here's the river front from Blackfriars to Butlers Wharf filmed in 1983 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUg_NSZSCw

Saturday 24 May 2014 11.22am
Fascinating. Hadn't realised there was a jetty at the power station. I also don't remember the eighties looking that old!
Saturday 24 May 2014 11.47am
What an amazing video - the area really was totally derelict wasn't it?

Shows how forward thinking the planners of Tate/Shakespeare's Globe were in thinking they could rejuvenate the area. Can anyone read that sign where the Globe is now?

Are there still any parts of London like this left?!

I recently saw a repeat of 'Treasure Hunt' with the lovely Anneka Rice where she flies over the power station.
Sunday 25 May 2014 10.08am
What an incredible video, thanks for sharing. I had heard the area used to be quite derelict but I had little idea of how different it way. It reminds us just how fantastic it is now..
Monday 26 May 2014 11.17am
Southwark Cathedral has two or three models of the area at various periods in time including one which shows how Winchester Palace in Clink St would have once looked.

Also, the Rose Playhouse host talks and lectures covering various aspects of the area on Monday evenings and is open to visitors on Saturdays. Check their website for details at http://www.rosetheatre.org.uk

The local studies centre at the John Harvard Library has a great photographic archive including photos of Bankside and other parts of the borough. (the Local Studies Library is closed on a Wednesday).

Tuesday 27 May 2014 9.51am
a brilliant video...amazing how much has changed in 30 odd years
Tuesday 27 May 2014 1.28pm
That video is astounding. Like others, I'd no idea quite how derelict the area once was. Thank you so much,Richard Miller, for posting it.I found it fascinating.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: