Drunk Students in Elephant & Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 28 May 2014 1.48pm
Whilst the title of this post may seem quite prosaic,
a truly shocking spectacle unfolded in the Elephant & Castle
last Sunday (25.05.4): an army of out of control, noisy, leery (white middle-class) students
in fancy-dress costumes - harassing passers by,
vomiting, blocking the pavement etc.

The chaos extended to the Tube station, where
I saw a lot of intimidated passengers and staff.

Does anyone have any idea what was going on
and who is responsible for organising and promoting this
appalling event?

Why is it that the current younger generation associate having a good
time exclusively with consuming large quantities of alcohol?
Among them there must have been a few in their thirties.
When are these people going to grow-up?
Wednesday 28 May 2014 1.52pm
I gather there was an event in the Coronet over the weekend tho was fortunate to avoid it myself :-)
Wednesday 28 May 2014 2.03pm
That would be people going to the the Church, the daytime parties held on some Sundays at the Coronet. I remember going about 20 years ago when it was held in King's Cross. It is mainly attended by students and young Kiwis, Australians and South Africans. Indeed a lot of drinking (you could only buy 4 huge cans of beer at a time), sawdust on the floor to imbibe liquids and the highlights were male/female stripteases with the participation of some willing people in the audience. Quite an unforgettable experience for a young impressionable froggy.
Wednesday 28 May 2014 2.35pm
I wonder if Jan's problems on the Beehive thread are linked to this.
Wednesday 28 May 2014 4.46pm
Would not be surprised boroughonian, My neighbour told me there were loads of taxis dropping them off on sunday to the beehive, perhaps by the time one batch had gone off their heads no cabs or mini cabs would take them? finishing with a flourish monday! Wonder what will happen this week-end, probably works out cheaper than the ministry of sound and the dealers go where trade is! Can not believe the noise that was generated from one former family pub! Our squatting laws need to be addressed to cover non-residential property too, people lived above the pub therefore in my eyes making the beehive a residential property..Heaven help those responsible for paying the electric bill, leaseholder or freeholder..
Wednesday 28 May 2014 7.50pm
In the UK, drinking and socializing are virtually synonymous...

While public drunkenness is not ideal, it is nevertheless good to see the E&C being used as a space for socializing.
Wednesday 28 May 2014 8.55pm
Floodplain wrote:
... an army of out of control, noisy, leery (white middle-class) students
Among them there must have been a few in their thirties.

Hmm... I'm curious to know how you knew they were students - especially if you judged that some were 30+?

I guess you would have made the assessment that they were middle class from their accents (wardrobe clues being absent due to them being in fancy dress)?
Thursday 29 May 2014 9.52am
Sandgrown Dave, the one I heard passing by my window had a beautiful cut glass accent to rival prince charles when he stated ' i've had a great time, got absooolutely wasted!' most of them were spanish /portugese judging from my limited linguistic skills...
Thursday 29 May 2014 12.41pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Sandgrown Dave, the one I heard passing by my window had a beautiful cut glass accent to rival prince charles when he stated ' i've had a great time, got absooolutely wasted!'

The expression "Drunk As a Lord" springs to mind...
Thursday 29 May 2014 8.59pm
It's 'the church' daytime party. Mostly Antipodeans coming in from Clapham and Shephard's Bush. Known for debauchery.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: