Bermondsey Street closed to (through) traffic...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
Tuesday 3 June 2014 5.53pm
Bermondsey street has existed as a thoroughfare for hundreds or more years, if the proposed closure goes ahead where will all the traffic have to? Tower Bridge Road? Weston Street?Kipling street? Long Lane? and we all know these routes are calm and peaceful at all times, with just the occasional horse and cart, or peasants selling vegetables..
Tuesday 3 June 2014 7.41pm
It will turn into a race track for cyclist if the do close it to traffic (ie cars, lorries, vans)
Tuesday 3 June 2014 8.48pm
As if the closure of St Thomas Street, Stainer Street and Weston Street hadn't made it hard enough to get home from the west. Noticed last week that Magdalen Street is now blocked to traffic too.
Wednesday 4 June 2014 7.07am
totally daft suggestion. it will get nowhere
Wednesday 4 June 2014 8.21am
Exactly why the Green Party is hopeless. I suppose they're trying to attract votes from those who believe they live in a "village", disregarding the fact that same is slap, bang in the middle of town.
Wednesday 4 June 2014 8.47am
Pops wrote:
It will turn into a race track for cyclist if the do close it to traffic (ie cars, lorries, vans)

race track for cyclists! hahaha

This wins the idiotic quote of the week award. Who do you think are killing all these people on the roads? That will be the cyclists will it?

I don't necessarily agree with the closure, but cut out the anti-cycling ranting please.
Wednesday 4 June 2014 10.04am
A ridiculous idea, the mixed use of the street is part of what gives it character and actually it is a great place to catch the odd black cab (all part of the unique street scene). Why not go the whole hog and pedestrianise the place? Darren Johnson makes it clear, though, that his proposal is for cyclists.

I would be concerned if cycling was given any sort of priority. Try crossing the Cycle Superhighway at Limehouse during rush hour - not fun or very safe for pedestrians. Bermondsey Street is already included in TfL's proposal for Quietways, intended for less confident cyclists or slower but safe cycling.

Please no vehicle ban - would an SE1 member of the Greens like to comment / explain? Darren Johnson lives in Lewisham so presumably cycles up Bermondsey Street on his way to his 54k job at City Hall - presumably with the book and badge given to him in 2009 by the Chinese Ministry of Environmental Protection.

Let's not favour one over the other. Keep Bermondsey Street mixed, vibrant and a shared space.
Wednesday 4 June 2014 10.48am
Jridley68 wrote:
A ridiculous idea, the mixed use of the street is part of what gives it character and actually it is a great place to catch the odd black cab (all part of the unique street scene). Why not go the whole hog and pedestrianise the place? Darren Johnson makes it clear, though, that his proposal is for cyclists.
I would be concerned if cycling was given any sort of priority. Try crossing the Cycle Superhighway at Limehouse during rush hour - not fun or very safe for pedestrians. Bermondsey Street is already included in TfL's proposal for Quietways, intended for less confident cyclists or slower but safe cycling.

Please no vehicle ban - would an SE1 member of the Greens like to comment / explain? Darren Johnson lives in Lewisham so presumably cycles up Bermondsey Street on his way to his 54k job at City Hall - presumably with the book and badge given to him in 2009 by the Chinese Ministry of Environmental Protection.

Let's not favour one over the other. Keep Bermondsey Street mixed, vibrant and a shared space.

Another one! So lets get this straight.. you are quite happy to share the road with vehicles of all types. But you have safety concerns about bicycles specifically?

Actually you also say you want a pedestrianised space - but with no cycles allowed.

And you single out Darren J because he cycles to work.

I think a pattern is forming here.
Wednesday 4 June 2014 11.05am
With respect to Jridley, she is only echoing the sentiments of the Highway Code. She is saying cyclists should be given no more - and no less - priority than anyone else, thereby maintaining a "shared" space. The comment re pedestrianising was a sarcastic one, I detect.

As for DJ, perhaps it is a case of his cycling down there en route to work and thinking "Oh wouldn't it be nice..." I know not.

I'm unsure what pattern is emerging though. I didn't pick up any negative cyclist connotations in her comments, but then I wasn't looking for them.
Wednesday 4 June 2014 11.37am
I am a cyclist myself so no agenda and my point re pedestrianisation was sarcastic - it would be terrible.

We need a mixed use space, not one that favours one over the other. In that regard I disagree with Darren J.

I single out our elected representative because he brought it up as a proposal favouring cyclists (no mention of pedestrian safety from him) but in fact knowing full well that the street is down as a proposed route within the central London cycle grid anyway. So his beef is getting rid of motorised traffic specifically in favour of cyclists. Presumably that's what the Chinese government gave him advice on (oops, more sarcasm). Darren J did not say that he congratulates the Mayor of London and Southwark Council who are in fact already working together to incorporate Bermondsey Street into the network of Quietways where cyclists, pedestrians and motor vehicles will coexist safely. His agenda is different.

Bermondsey Street is a lovely place with motorised and cycle traffic sharing the space happily with pedestrians. It will be fantastic when the Quietway schemes means that more cyclist know about it and can include it in their journey.

Darren J got himself a headline but added nothing useful on top of what other elected representatives from two opposing parties are already working together to achieve.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: