Phone box to become SE1's smallest coffee shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 3 June 2014 9.54pm
Hi All,

I have just read this article.

While I am all for old GPO phone kiosks being re-purposed, I draw the line when it comes to the K2 models.

These were only ever installed in London during the 1920s, and we had to wait for the introduction of the much more common K6s before the phonebox scheme rolled out across the UK.

Each and every K2 is a grade II listed building, and rather than being converted, I really feel that they should be restored to an immaculate condition and not be messed around with.

For those not familiar with the differences, here is a K2 next to a K6:

Here's one I photographed next to the doomed Heygate Estate:

Related news & features

Wednesday 4 June 2014 8.14am
I agree. However, no modifications bar replacing the glazing and (non original) telephone and associated wiring will take place. oh and the installation of a brass door lock!

The actual internals of the proposed "kiosk" are modular and are not affixed to the phone box. According to the planning app, the internals can be removed in minutes leaving just the phone box.

What I'm more interested in is have these people bought the phone box and/or the land on which it stands. How does one go about deciding: "I want to turn that phone box into a coffee kiosk".

Modifications aside - which seem sympathetic enough - I would rather it remained as a working phone box. There aren't enough phone boxes any more and, as someone who chooses not to have a Mobile, I do occasionally use still use them when out. There must be 50 outlets within a two-minute radius selling coffee but probably only one other phone box.
Thursday 5 June 2014 11.06am
If all the additions are reversible and non intrusive then I don't see the problem.

If you are caught short without a charged mobile or don't like mobile phones, then there are comfortable shops all over SE1 for international (or other) calls or people can ask friends or hotel front desks or shopkeepers a favour.

The only well maintained phone boxes are the ones that double up as huge illuminated advertising billboards right next to the kerb and therefore traffic.. the rest are loss-making and barely maintained.

Re-use of the one in front of the Heygate in a similar fashion would be great news.
Friday 1 August 2014 11.24am
The planning application has been withdrawn

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: