LESOCO Construction on The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 5 June 2014 9.25am
Is this driving anyone else absolutely mental? Between this and the almost perpetual road and pavement works there's almost always some sort of power tool squealing. Right now, it's the dulcet tones of some massive saw.

I live directly overlooking both sites (I don't think anyone actually lives closer to the LESOCO site than we do).

We wrote multiple letters during the planning/consultation phase, but, as is so often the case with these things, were disregarded.

I work from home a lot, and sometimes work late (and hence wake up late) so this is absolutely crippling my ability to sleep and work.

Presumably there's not an awful lot more any of us can do at this point except shut up and take it?
Monday 9 June 2014 10.05am
It is driving me mad too. I live in the road where the development is taking place. There are deliveries from very large trucks (some would argue too large for the small street) arriving after 11pm at night which is very noisy and disturbing my sleep. I have rung lambeth to complain about the noise pollution. I have had to move my car from outside my house due to trucks very nearly hitting my car on more than one occasion. This weekend the work trucks decided to park outside my house in a permit only area and workers were singing and swearing very loudly
Monday 9 June 2014 11.59am
sarab353 wrote:
There are deliveries from very large trucks (some would argue too large for the small street) arriving after 11pm at night which is very noisy and disturbing my sleep.

Lambeth, like most councils, regulate when noisy building work can take place:

Lambeth Council - http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/pests-noise-and-pollution/noise-and-antisocial-behaviour/noise-control-guide wrote:
Noisy building and DIY work can take place within these hours:
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday 8am to 1pm

So I suggest you persist - if you can log with them each and every noisy activity on-site outside of the permitted hours.
Monday 9 June 2014 12.26pm
The college site is (just) in Southwark, truthmonkey (though the contractor's notice on the hoardings incorrectly says Lambeth).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 11 June 2014 3.35pm
Is it wrong to think that this work might be related to the all day power cut!
Monday 16 June 2014 11.23pm
If you have a smart phone with a video function record everything.
I recently had some local trouble for some months and the police said get CCTV which I could not afford.
I deleted every non essential app off my iPhone to make space and blue-tacked it to the inside of kitchen window every night, plugging it into the mains, and enhanced the footage in iMovie next day to compensate for the night shooting.
Result, excellent footage of troublemakers leading to arrest.
Hope this helps.
Where I live we have had all of these problems for years and my car has been damaged by builders trucks.
Tuesday 17 June 2014 9.41am
James Hatts wrote:
The college site is (just) in Southwark, truthmonkey (though the contractor's notice on the hoardings incorrectly says Lambeth).

Thankfully Southwark has identical rules http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/412/noise_problems/379/construction_noise
Wednesday 3 September 2014 12.51pm
Has anyone else had cause to complain about LeSoCo?

I live next to the college on The Cut and they contractors working there consistently make noise outwith the specified hours. By the time the noise control team get there the noise has stopped. They even tried to say it was someone on a nearby balcony using a cutting machine that was causing the noise!

They now have set up two generators on the site that are supposedly going to be operating 24 hours a day for at least 3 weeks.
Wednesday 3 September 2014 2.29pm
If our experience in Burrell Street is anything to go by, construction sites can ask Southwark Council for extended hours and Southwark Council will ALWAYS agree. To my knowledge no request made by the contractors at 240 Blackfriars has ever been refused. It makes byelaws to control noise from construction sites a complete waste of time.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network