Is this the free swimming?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 13 June 2014 2.18pm
Is this the free swimming? From SE16 Twitter
Free swimming weekend

Free gym Free gym

You got it.
Friday 13 June 2014 2.21pm
Fusion have been running these free weekend events at leisure centres in Southwark for several years. Nothing new.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 13 June 2014 2.59pm
Yes, thanks for the link James. But as I tweeted the pledge can delivered with weekend type open days and outdoor gyms. Southwark Labour never clarified during the campaign when asked.

All we know about is some kind of caveats and no mention of that in the manifesto.

People on the doorstep don't want to hear about caveats, they want free swimming and gym. Not excuses and waffle.

We know that any negotiation or change of supplier can take up to 18 months procurement in Southwark at best. Renegotiations can go on for ages.

So low and behold, about a year before the 2018 election free swimming finally surfaces.

Saving many many millions using delay.

This is the political class in action.

A positive hindrance to Neil Coyle because if I was a Lib Dem on the doorsteps in 2015 I would make good use of the non delivery of free swimming and gym.

So, the free swimming fact as we have it (not future narrative) is the open weekends and free gym is in the Park.
Saturday 14 June 2014 10.31pm
Not seeing any free swimming and the last time I tried to enquire about swimming classes it was REALLY expensive.
MAJORLY expensive.
Zoe
Sunday 15 June 2014 12.00pm
The swimming lessons are 62 for ten, which I thought was ok and I have learnt to swim from them. The private lessons were an awful lot more. However, offering free classes would be a good way to get people more active.

I think delivering free swimming and gym is really expensive and I'm not expecting it to happen soon. However, it shows a commitment to getting people fit and that's so important. I suspect the comments people have made are right and it will end up being limited free acess, but I think that's still better than nothing.
Sunday 15 June 2014 3.26pm
Calculated the swimming public loss today is already 421,000 assuming 7% swim once a week (Sport England) rising by 3% if it was free in Southwark.

The Fusion contract negotiations will drag on well into 2017.

Sadly, it was gesture politics at it's very worse and made more disagreeable by appealing to "inclusion".

The only thing that will spur on providing free swimming and gym is to hassle Southwark Labour.

So every few days lets publish the loss to the swimming public and those who were looking forward to going swimming for free.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: