Where are Southwark's treasures?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 13 June 2014 4.14pm
In the South London Press today article concerning the art works that had been hidden in a basement at Lambeths Town hall. They were sold for almost 20,000. ( (why they could not had them repaired before sale is beyond me) but that got me thinking, What happened to Mayor Henleys portrait that used to hang in the Bermondsey Town hall before our lot flogged it off? It was on the second floor. He was an incredibly brave man who went on the roof during a raid in the Blitz. I know the gorgeous Torch things near the entrance disappeared beforehand.

How many artworks do we have? or are they squirrelled away in a dusty basement somewhere or hanging on some VIP's wall!
Friday 13 June 2014 4.23pm
335 works from the Southwark Art Collection can be viewed on the BBC website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/search/belongs_to/southwark-art-collection-2470_collections

More on the collection here:

http://www.southwarkcollections.org.uk/code/eMuseum.asp?page=SArtC

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 13 June 2014 8.00pm
Thank you James..:-) I loved:- Moonlight: A River Scene.
Saturday 14 June 2014 3.43am
As a soi disant Sothwark treasure, I am right now, 23.35, Friday June 13, in Harpoon Harry's bar and grill in Punta Gorda, SW Florida, feeling a tad remorseful because I am due to catch the big silver bird to Gatwick at 18.15 on Saturday evening, June 14.
Fortunately the Stolychnya vodka on the rocks is easing my pain a little, and bearing in mind that it is Friday 13th., plus the fact that I'm a solid citizen, I have walked the half mile to Harry's, so that I can evade the Charlotte county sheriff's deputy seeking a DUI bust from a foreign tourist who is used to driving on the left.
Saturday 14 June 2014 9.24am
Had I known Tom, I would have said my favourite Southwark Treasure is..Ode to a Siver Bird on his flight Home! Hope you both had a smashing time and are looking forward to the heat of Southwark...far superior to foreign heat! lol

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: