Bike/cycle storage

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 16 June 2014 4.07pm
Hi,

I am moving into Greet House, Tanswell Estate with my partner who is a leaseholder there.
I am trying to find out about communal bike storage - I spoke to Lambeth Living about all the blue sheds on the estate. Apparently they don't know which ones are used or empty and it would be too expensive to find out. They directed me to the council who sent me back to Lambeth Living - gah!

So, has anyone successfully got communal bike storage on their estate in the past or am I on a road to nowhere?

I looked up other bike spaces but the only ones with storage are quite far away (I am near Waterloo station) and as I cycle every day it would be a pain to walk 13/14 mins on top of a 40 bike ride.

I could put my bike in the flat but it's a lot of carting up and down stairs and our flat is small and full of things.

Please let me know if you can think of any solution?

Thanks

Helen
Monday 16 June 2014 4.26pm
I bought a Brompton, which is OK for up to 3 mile trips, but not so good for longer journeys.
When I was a councillor in Southwark we had some success getting these lockers installed:
Monday 16 June 2014 4.53pm
thanks, my bike ride is 5 miles and I have to carry a lot of stuff in panniers so a Brompton not ideal.

who funded the lockers? I was thinking the same thing but I don't know if the council will budget for it?

I will email our local councillors to see if they can help.
Monday 16 June 2014 5.03pm
hellsbells1982 wrote:
thanks, my bike ride is 5 miles and I have to carry a lot of stuff in panniers so a Brompton not ideal.

Hi Helen, and welcome :-)

My commute is more than five miles (Paddington) and I've done it daily on my Brompton for 3 years-ish. I usually carry (hefty) laptop, a folder full of papers, change of clothes and a couple of bits of fruit, all in the front pannier. Works fine for me (and I'm neither young nor athletic).

Of course there may be other reasons why you wouldn't want a Brompton but don't rule it out on the basis of a five mile distance and needing to carry much stuff.
Zoe
Monday 16 June 2014 7.37pm
I agree with Dave. I have cycled seven miles with a Brompton and lots of stuff. In our tiny flats a Brompton is useful to stick under a table.

We are over in Southwark and had the same issue with the council not knowing who our sheds belong to. You could try putting notes on the doors or ask some of your neighbours?

I suspect you can get funding from Lambeth if you ask around, it's finding somewhere to put the bike lockers that's the issue.
AD
Monday 16 June 2014 7.46pm
The blue (or green) bike lockers are likely to be operated by Bikeaway. go to their website www.bikeaway.com and look for the tab 'rent a locker'. Here you should be able to confirm if they do indeed supply them and if any are available. If any are free you register through the website.

I successfully applied for 5 lockers for my block of flats which were installed this year. I applied for a grant from my council (Southwark), under the Cleaner, Greener, Safer scheme. If you are in Lambeth this obviously won't be applicable.

I would find out who your local Councillors are and ask them what funding is available. You may want to approach them as a representative of your block as (forgive the cynism) this would mean your Councillor could gain more votes.
Tuesday 17 June 2014 12.15pm
Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback, will look into the Brompton (but pricey) and also I cycle a lot our of London in the countryside and my current bike (a touring bike) is ideal, so I would need to keep this and store somewhere anyway!

The sheds aren't bike lockers, they are old sheds that the GLC put in (I think) and Lambeth Living have no idea who owns them and have no money to sort out or investigate (very frustrating as there are probably loads of empty ones). I will ask my neighbours to see if anyone has a key but not hopeful.

I will ask around on the estate too as I am sure there are people in the same boat. I have also emailed my local councillors. I will see if I can get some grants too!

Will let you know if I have any success..

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: