Ye Olde Clink Street Window Mysterie

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 17 June 2014 6.17pm
Many moons ago (c. the year 2000) I watched the the beginning of Clink Street's gentrification, in the form of a refurbished building called Horseshoe Wharf. Very soon after it was finished, someone broke the glass panel in a ground floor window. It stayed broken for some time but was eventually replaced by a white board. I was amazed that as the weeks, months and years passed, this white board never gave way to a glass panel. Eventually it was covered in a "tasteful" mural.

I recently contacted Oakmayne Properties Ltd, who (re)built the block, asking their managing director if he could shed light on this mystery. But he said he had joined the company long after this project was finished. he suggested I "hand deliver a letter to the building addressed to the management company". But that seemed just a tad olde worlde for me, so I thought I'd try this forum first (don't know why I didn't ages ago !)

So can anyone shed any light on this. I know it's not the world's most pressing problem but I was (and still am) amazed that such a "posh" building was somehow unable or unwilling to find a replacement window. Today, the flats inside it cost more than 1.5m !

I was on a Southwark walking tour the other day and the woman leading it pointed out the charming, historical white boarded window, with its local history picture (drawn or painted in fact in 2007, it says in the bottom right corner of the panel) but she had no idea how this white board came into being !

Hoping for an end to this mystery, cheers !

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: