Warning!credit card scammers active in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 19 June 2014 9.17pm
Hi

Just a warning for SE1ers. The day before yesterday I received a telephone call from someone claiming to be from HMV oxford street saying that he suspected a customer had been using a duplicate credit card of mine and that as soon as I put the phone down I should phone the number on the reverse of my card ( ie. the credit card company who would no doubt ask for identifying security features). I understand that this is a scam as these scammers can 'listen in' to your phone call when you make this call. I was immediately suspicious and kept the guy talking , he gave me a name 'Anthony Thomas' and a telephone number. I phoned HMV who confirmed there was no-one working for them by that name. I subsequently informed the police.
Today I visited a friend in Walworth who told me that yesterday he was subject to almost exactly the same attempted scam , except the individual said he was calling from a police station.
Well, 'Anthony Thomas'.( or whoever you are).. if you should read this. don't think you won't get caught .. because at some point you will!!
Friday 20 June 2014 8.52am
Thanks londonbridge69 for posting the warning. It appears to be a slight variation on the courier collection of a supposed misuse of your credit/debit card scam.
The crooks having called you keep the line open when you think you are calling the credit card you are actually continuing the call to them. The scam usually operates on landlines therefore use a mobile to check or viceversa.
My first rule is do not repond to unsolicited calls or cold callers, and my second is to believe that any enquiries about my money is an attempt to take it from me illegally.
Friday 20 June 2014 9.14am
See also http://www.financialfraudaction.org.uk/Consumer-Card-Fraud-Telephone-Scam.asp for an official comment.

(I don't actually understand how they keep the line open - I thought this was technically impossible. It's very worrying since it leaves the way open for all sorts of similar scams.)
Friday 20 June 2014 2.03pm
you put the phone down...they stay on the line...you dial number given..you cant cut off incoming call. they may even have a recording off ring tone.. thinking about it they should come unstuck with the common use of mobile phones and we use them to phone and check the number given!
Friday 20 June 2014 8.36pm
Excellent, precise and accurate explanation Jan.
Saturday 21 June 2014 9.42am
Jan the old one wrote:
you put the phone down...they stay on the line...you dial number given..you cant cut off incoming call. they may even have a recording off ring tone.. thinking about it they should come unstuck with the common use of mobile phones and we use them to phone and check the number given!

But surely if they are still on the line you won't get the dialling tone when you pick your own phone up?

Am I totally wrong about how good old-fashioned hard-wired phones work? - I'd always assumed if you put the phone 'back on the hook' you immediately cut the connection (in both directions)- hence the complaint 'You hung up on me and I had to dial again'. Do you mean the complainer wouldn't have to dial again - just stand there holding their phone until the next time I picked up my own phone?

So - a question for the technically-minded - if I can't cut off an incoming call by putting the phone handset back on its rest, can I do it by unplugging the phone from the wall socket? (Sorry, Jan, I don't have a mobile so I can't check the phone number that way!)
Saturday 21 June 2014 9.48am
They must be playing an audio recording of the dial tone.

Disconnecting from the wall won't make any difference; the connection will be maintained. I don't know if, say, after two hours or something it automatically "releases", but certainly the connection is maintained for at least 45 minutes.

I think you must be wrong. Conversely, as far as I know, mobiles do sever the connection even if it is only the recipient who ends the call.
Saturday 21 June 2014 10.19am
Gavin Smith wrote:
They must be playing an audio recording of the dial tone.
Disconnecting from the wall won't make any difference; the connection will be maintained. I don't know if, say, after two hours or something it automatically "releases", but certainly the connection is maintained for at least 45 minutes.

I think you must be wrong. Conversely, as far as I know, mobiles do sever the connection even if it is only the recipient who ends the call.

Anyone know a telephone engineer who can comment on this? Do you really mean if someone phones me, then I hang up at my end but they don't put their phone
back properly, the line remains open and as a result I can't make a call to a different number 'for at least 45 minutes'???

I've just found this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22513041

Quote 'At the moment, when someone makes a telephone call, it is possible that the line can stay open, even though the person receiving the call has hung up.

'When the person receiving the call picks up the phone again, they will not get a dialling tone. But in stressful circumstances, they may not notice.

'The fact that they then dial a number on the keypad makes no difference to the line, which remains in place.

'The telecoms regulator Ofcom is working with the industry to get this changed.

'Talks are currently taking place to see how easy it would be to alter the necessary technical systems, and to establish how quickly such changes could be made.'

Sounds to me as if it's a technical problem they've only just recognised - has it really been a problem ever since phones were invented, or is something that's come in with new technology?

So getting the dialling tone is all important - and as Gavin says, perhaps the scammers since that BBC report came out have started playing recordings of it!
Saturday 21 June 2014 11.10pm
I think it has been like that as far as I can remember with landlines. Only the person who made the call can end it.
Sunday 22 June 2014 9.56am
I will probably be corrected by somebody who knows better than me, please feel free, but as I understand it landlines remain open whilst the caller chooses to keep it open. I believe it is a consquence of automatic telphone systems(landlines) and was not a problem with the hand operated plug-in plug-out system.
It is now a rael problem because scammers and con-men are abusing the system to thieve from the innocents.
As I said earlier use another phone line if you can to check it out.
I would think that if you hang up on them and do not make, or try to make, another call on your landline, then the scammer will close the line themselves because it is costing them money all the time they keep your line open with no further response from you.
Alternatively you could phone a friend or two and see if they answer if not you will know something is wrong.
They are ideas that are probably of no real use but this one is "DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR CARD OR BANK DETAILS OOVER THE PHONE OR INTERNET" you would not give them to a stranger in the street so why give them to s stranger over the phone or the internet.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: