Octavia House (Union Street/Nelson Square)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 24 June 2014 1.40pm
Could not find a post about this development here on the forum. This is a new development that will be decided by Southwark Planning committee next week, 1 July.

Some local residents made their own architectural renderings on the plans from angles that were not available in the planning documents and BARD published them here on the website:

http://betterblackfriars.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/octavia-house-the-images-they-did-not-show-us/
An example how this new block will impact on the views from Nelson Square:

We at BARD have been recommending local residents to send their comments to Southwark Planning, and despite some considerable local opposition the Southwark Planning officer has recommended that the plan is approved.

Have a look at the photos in above link, the actual planning documents are available on the Southwark planning site. More on the subject:

http://betterblackfriars.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/octavia-house-consultation-extended-until-20-december/

http://betterblackfriars.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/octavia-house-development-told-to-reduce-the-height-from-18-to-14-stories/

How do people feel, is it OK that our council is about to approve a massive bulk of a building of 14 storeys (they did make them come down from the originally proposed 18 storeys) that will tower over all of the surrounding buildings? They seem to be slowly allowing building height to creep up and up further away from the river?

Related news & features

Tuesday 24 June 2014 3.23pm
Another ugly glass box blighting SE1
Just look at 240 Blackfriars. Over the past 2.5 years residents at Quadrant House have been driven mad. Expect noise at all hours,whatever the regulations stipulate,vast amounts of dust and dirt, and a total lack of consideration from so called "considerate contractors" (see thread on this topic)
I wonder how much of this office space will be occupied? There seems to be so much of it going up all over the place. Has anyone asked if we need it at all anyway?
Tuesday 24 June 2014 7.27pm
Blocking light is about the only thing I can see that might be a valid objection.
If nobody in the affected neighbouring properties (c.50m) is prepared to go as a deputation and instruct lawyers then it's pretty hopeless.

It no longer matters what we think.
Southwark Labour won the election.
They now control the planning committee.
Councillors must have the Party brand to win their seat, so the blackberry will vibrate the instructions.
(This is why they fiddle with them incessantly during meetings).

And so you want to stop this application:
1) Get a lawyer + team up with the Council residents in the block opposite if there is any good case at all
2) Ask Boris (=> don't bother)
3) Ask Mr.Pickles (=> don't bother)

The Council is able to disregard it's own Design Review Panel so unless a group has some leverage it's pretty useless. They are loathed to go against Officer recommendation for fear of appeal and LBS being sued etc.

Therefore get a few thousand pounds together and a lawyer, or move.
Fiona Colley moved from Canada Water to Nunhead so there's a clue where to go.

Also, looking at the picks - the homes in the foreground around Nelson Square should be aware that they are now in the frame for regeneration given that when this app is passed it will become viable to demolish them. Unless enough UNITE or UNISON members live there then they should be OK for a while.

Nelson Square I recall is an unusual oddity in that it is one of the few open green spaces protected that is Southwark Council Housing land. The buildings themselves have no protection I know of. So the buildings can go, and a new rich ghetto built around the protected square! Mines a double, well done lads. Now I see why Nelson Square got protection, not for "us" it was for "them".

They have such a long term plan it transcends the various administrations that come and go.

Take part in the IEP's with the Inspectorate and much of this farce will become clear - and how they think.
Tuesday 24 June 2014 8.52pm
How depressing, hhrca
These things are like big, glass cuckoos that have to push everything out of the surrounding "nest"/area. I thought the same thing as you when I saw the proposed building towering over the Nelson Square flats. They will be demolishing those flats once the building goes up as Nelson Square will be blocking out THEIR light and view.
Wednesday 25 June 2014 9.13am
The new building is, I believe, partly residential and partly office space. The London Centre of Contemporary Music (a music college) which occupied part of the building prior to demolition were originally promised they could move back in on completion. This is now, however, by no means certain as the developers have 'moved the goalposts' so to speak.
Wednesday 25 June 2014 11.21am
Does the 'right to light' thingy still exist hhrc? it would be wonderful if it did...just googled it law dates back to 1832..rics.org i think 20 years or 1 year with or without consent...just came out of site will look again later..
Wednesday 25 June 2014 11.30am
they were trying to change that law in 2013...well it's big money in large developments innit! lol
Wednesday 25 June 2014 11.37am
I think the right to light issue was up when Palestra was being built. I think it was solved by Section 106 money paid to Southwark Council?

One interesting thing about the Octavia House plan is how the original plans shown in consultations were about half the size in height to what has been put forward now. But presumably the developers must be very up-to-date what may or may not be acceptable by the Council planners.

At least in this case we did not lose any heritage building, the old red-brick office building has now almost been demolished. Somehow they did manage to keep the only way to drive into Nelson Square open during that most of the time. Not sure how that will work during construction!

The most annoying thing about the proposed box is that it just sticks out there like a sore thumb, not stepping down to meet the surrounding buildings... but, like it was said here maybe the actual truth is that it does not need to if the surrounding flats are not going to last either :(

I have actually thought we would be safe here in Nelson Square until now, but guess our future here is more and more uncertain as the land we occupy is just too valuable for social housing.
Wednesday 25 June 2014 2.55pm
the only thing i can find about development sites in the Blackfriars SPD documentation - is that nelson square is just about the only peice of land that is not identified for potential development north of Pocock st.

Wednesday 25 June 2014 4.03pm
The Square itself is protected. The buildings around are not. And protection can always be lifted and squares "reprovided". Maybe nothing, but if I lived their I would be "on alert".
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: