Comment on London Bridge Plan

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 29 June 2014 6.02pm
Have your say! There's a new interactive website where you can put your comments about the London Bridge area and contribute to how it develops in future.
https://londonbridge.commonplace.is/

Related news & features

Monday 30 June 2014 12.53am
Another setup where a bunch of self appointed "locals" who have decided they want to make changes, and if the rest of us don't like it we have to sign up to some bizarre website to play by their rules.
These "Local" community bodies who set themselves up and are answerable to no one should just be stopped.
Monday 30 June 2014 9.04am
That'll be much like the local council planning department then...at least there's some local input here rather than the shocking lack of local accountability that Southwark Council see fit to include!
Monday 30 June 2014 10.07am
I guess we have all been living around here to know of it will play out.

The planning department will give the developers what they want before changing career and working for the said developers.

The planning committee will rubber stamp the decision for fears of legal lawsuits and because it needs the cash to pay for all the promises it made during the last elections (remember: a new kitchen for everyone and free swimming pass…. Yeeepeee!).

Only lip service will be paid to the residents who will be affected by the work/eyesore. Only minimal restrictions will be applied (if any) but not enforced.

Meanwhile, we will be made to listen to heart-warming speeches from our Dear Leader about "keeping the character of the area"... and other drivel about "resting assured that we are doing our utmost to keep the north of the borough vibrant and mixed”.

Any question you may have will be swept aside by a “remember: we have promised to build 11,000 new council homes!” regardless of the said question… Whether these homes are actually built or whether they are in your area if of course another matter.

The end result will be another soulless building/area which may look good on 3D picture but will be devoid of life or character.

Empty retail space will be added to the vast sea of empty retail space in the North.

Flats, which are anyway out of reach for many of the residents, will be sold abroad as buy-to-lets to foreign investors who will never set a foot inside.

Tenants, most of them working in the City since they only can afford the rent, will move in and stay on average 2 years, barely getting to know their neighbours before moving out.

All the above will be branded a “great success for the regeneration of the area”

Frankly, good luck with the website but if you want a piece of advice: it is not a local group you need, it’s a good solicitor.

It would be a known fact if the planning department/council paid any attention to what the residents in the North think.
Monday 30 June 2014 10.20am
Long-Term Local wrote:
Have your say! There's a new interactive website where you can put your comments about the London Bridge area and contribute to how it develops in future.

Oooh, bet you're glad you bothered posting this. Isn't it great the way the piss and vinegar brigade hijack nearly every bloody post on this forum with their constructive worldview?
Monday 30 June 2014 11.05am
Tabularasa, sadly you describe well the predictable way that things play out in SE1.
Developers, local authorities, consultation groups do not give a damn about what local residents think as we can clearly see (and hear) all around us.We just get in the way of the dream plan to turn North Southwark into Manhattan.More ghastly, empty, glassy investment properties we do not need.
Monday 30 June 2014 11.27am
Manhattan has at least some character.... unlike Cathedral and Grange wards these days.

Depending on who you are, the north of SE1 is...

a) ...a cash cow that needs milking if you happen to be a Labour Councillor.

b) ... just a place you drive through on your way to a more interesting place if you happen to be TFL.

c) ... a good place to do some experiments with your pals the developers if you happen to be Boris.
Monday 30 June 2014 6.28pm
turtmcfly wrote:
Long-Term Local wrote:

Oooh, bet you're glad you bothered posting this. Isn't it great the way the piss and vinegar brigade hijack nearly every bloody post on this forum with their constructive worldview?

Well said. Fair enough for people to have a rant if they want to, but repeating the same rant many times across all threads that happen to touch on the same subject is neither useful nor courteous, in my opinion.
Tuesday 1 July 2014 9.35am
Quote:

Perhaps we could go to anger management classes together...
Saturday 5 July 2014 8.50pm
Have reluctantly waded through the signing up process and looked about.
It seems a nice website where people can actually post what they think so I take it all back. I was thinking of the "Bermondsey Plans" which are neither in Bermondsey nor accountable to anyone who is it would seem.

The only issue I have with your nice website is a technical one. It keeps wanting me to allow it to track my location. The ISP I use is big on privacy, which is why I use it, so all you'll get is it's location somewhere up north, not mine down the road.

I mention it because EVERY single time I try to post a comment, some of which are actually favorable, it wants me to allow access to where my computer is and really we could just do this rigmarole once a visit not every comment.

But nice website.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: