Blackfriars Road refuge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 30 June 2014 1.59pm
Mr Hatts might be the best person to answer this as the SE1 Direct address in Blackfriars road is on the corner of Columbo Street, directly opposite Burrell St. There used to be an island in the middle of the road at this point which was important as a pedestrian refuge. It was understandably removed for safety reasons when construction of the odd shaped office block started because the queuing site lorries restricted the road width. The pavement access and bus stop have now been reinstalled but there is no sign that the important island refuge is being returned. Many pedestrians have to cross at this point but it's a rare event to get across the busy Blackfriars road in one go. So leaving them exposed in the middle appears to be an accident waiting to happen.
Monday 30 June 2014 2.13pm
I agree it's difficult to cross the road at this point, not least because the road markings are unclear after the centre line was moved and then painted out.

Unless reinstatement of the previous layout was part of the deal with the builders/developers, I fear that TfL won't want to do spend any money on small measures in Blackfriars Road till the whole road is reorganised for the new cycle route.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 30 June 2014 5.20pm
Yes guessed right James - no plan to reinstate the island (or the bus shelter apparently). It's an incredibly dangerous place to cross the road, but an awful lot of people do it anyway. I remember when there was a zebra crossing there - I still miss that!
Monday 30 June 2014 5.35pm
Thanks suziq..that's depressing. I hadn't seen the proposed cycle route pictures. That will certainly make it safe, although perhaps a little extreme as only two lanes left for traffic. If finances are the only consideration then the answer would be to use portable islands like the ones used on the parade routes in the city.
Zoe
Monday 30 June 2014 9.52pm
It's a shame we have to wait for improvements as Blackfriars road already has a high level of accidents (particualrly The Cut/Union Street junction).

I totally agree this bit of road is dangerous, as it's quite a way to either crossing. It's particularly frustrating when TfL are based about three minutes away, so could easily pop out and see it!
Tuesday 1 July 2014 9.36am
We could ask Boris to let us have one of those fancy cable cars so that we could whizz over the "Boulevard de Beaux Freres de Pinot Noir" as it is known to some of us at QH.
It can be a bit of a dash of death, and that little island helped you catch your breath.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: