New Kent Road cycle lane: are police being ‘overzealous’?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Zoe
Friday 4 July 2014 8.01pm
Grrrrrr. This is an incredibly busy cycle path, hundreds and hundreds of cyclists use it everyday. Yet there is no crossing to join the two cycle paths (development of a new building is so much more important than safety of pedestrians and cyclists) so we all use the pelican crossing.

It's also a ridiculously narrow bike lane when the pavement is massive, there is a phone box in the middle of it and the council cleaners brush the leaves onto the path every autumn, making it dangerously slippy. It's also the worst crossing as it takes ages to give a green man which doesn't last long enough.

It's amazing to me that it's taken Southwark this long to actually notice there is a problem.

On the plus side I get to see the nice lollipop man at Rodney Place when I use it, so not all bad!

Related news & features

Friday 4 July 2014 9.33pm
I agree, the only answer is "yes".

James' news story is excellent, but I would like to see the evidence that process was followed when the toucan crossing was converted to a pelican crossing - James notes this was 10 years ago "following concerns about the reduction in capacity caused by the removal of a lane for general traffic." So now 10 years have passed, are they still "concerned"?

I would love to see any evidence of this consultation or notification of the change, irrespective of what the crossing was called, as I recall TfL admitting at the time that there had been none.

It is worth noting the pavement on the Meadow Row side is signposted as a shared space for bikes and pedestrians between Meadow Road and the crossing which implies the justification is just intentionally misleading.

As a key part of the Elephant and Castle cycle bypass - i.e. a route that avoids London's no.1 blackspot for cycle injuries and deaths - it is beyond outrageous that TfL can change status of a crossing, get the process wrong at least once and probably twice, and then not bother to rectify the mistake for years afterwards.

The mayor's answer below that James has found is a masterpiece of jargon and obfuscation.

Quote:
Answering a question from London assembly member Jenny Jones in 2012, the Mayor said: "When a bus lane was introduced on New Kent Road approximately 10 years ago, the toucan crossing was converted to a pelican crossing following concerns about the reduction in capacity caused by the removal of a lane for general traffic.
"Since then, cyclists have continued to use the facility as if it were a toucan crossing.

"To enable construction works to take place at the major development site on the corner of Elephant Road and New Kent Road, TfL has temporarily relocated the pelican crossing 50 metres eastward.

"However, there was no plan to install a new toucan crossing [and] an unintentional error was made in some of the consultation materials which referred to a 'relocated toucan' when in actual fact it is a 'relocated pelican'.
Saturday 5 July 2014 6.43am
This part of New Kent road is dangerous for cyclists unless they use the pavement/crossing. I really don't understand why its taking so long for proper safe cycling routs to be installed. When there are so many cyclist fatalities and injuries, to not act is pure negligence.
Saturday 5 July 2014 9.54am
Culpable negligence.
Saturday 5 July 2014 11.55am
Pity the police don't check the amount of idiots who cycle incredibly fast in bartholomew street, and carry out pulling up morons who cycle on the pavement in new kent road near the garage and swing around into our street at speed. That bit of nkrd shown is a very wide pavement with clearly marked cycle path. Move the phone box and let the cyclists dismount to approach the road from cycle lane not attempt to continue their journey without a tiny delay?
Monday 7 July 2014 12.26pm
The report is wrong. I use this stretch regularly and the crossing IS a Toucan crossing. There is a green cycle light alongside the green man.

The signage is also very clear in indicating that this is a shared path (the blue cycle / pedestrian sign) see pic https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Brufa_6CIAAeI9d.png:large
Zoe
Monday 7 July 2014 7.10pm
I thought just the same thing Natalie and wondered if It was just wishful thinking on my part!
Monday 7 July 2014 7.44pm
If it is now a toucan crossing, then that is a fairly recent development. Are you absolutely sure?

It was a pelican crossing last time I looked (though I don't cycle that way as often as I used to).

These pictures on Google Streetview (dated 2012) show a pelican crossing ... albeit with signs that direct cyclists to cross the road at this point.

Looking at Kristian's video I can see no trace of a green cycle light alongside the pedestrian one.

(i agree that the area where the PCSOs are standing in the video is indisputably shared-use.)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Thursday 17 July 2014 7.14am
Finally went past and can confirm it's a pelican crossing (ie just for pedestrians, just checking I'm not getting them muddled). There are two crossings and both are pedestrian only, though there is a bike lane on one side of the road and a shared use path on the other (even at the pelican half way down, which surprised me as I've never noticed that before). There is also a sign telling cyclists to use the crossing, so it's no surprise people are cycling across. I also stood for a while watching the crossing (trying not to look too odd) and it is used more by cyclists than pedestrians (though I recall it's busy with pedestrians at school coming out time).

There are also lots of cars parked along the cycle path on Rodney Place, which is an unbroken white line so should have no parking. The parking wardens should target that area just before the congestion zone time ends as they would make a lot of money.
Saturday 22 November 2014 9.17pm
Kristian Gregory has received a court summons:

http://road.cc/content/news/136770-cyclist-fined-avoiding-phone-box-shared-use-path-summoned-court

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: