Power Cut in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 7 July 2014 3.02pm
Looks like it is affecting lots of SE1 and SE16

INCIDENT RAISED: 07-JUL-2014 14:47:18
POTENTIALLY AFFECTED POSTCODE SECTORS: N1 9,SE1 ,SE1 2,SE1 3,SE1 4,SE1 5,SE16 1,SE16 2,SE16 3,SE16 4,SE16 5,SE16 6,SE16 7,SE5 3
Monday 7 July 2014 3.27pm
That is the longest power cut I've seen here in ~9 years. We get a few every year but they last all of one second, that one was like 20-30 minutes!!!
Tuesday 8 July 2014 1.56pm
It is the 3rd power cut this year that we've had in the mid-Bermondsey Street part of the local grid. All of them were for an extended period of well over 30 minutes. I decided to invest in a small uninterpretable power supply to keep the home router on because I need to be connected to the grid.

Considering the amount electricity costs these days the infrastructure really should be perfect, not this third world crap... how long before we all get diesel generators on the roof just to watch the tv like in Delhi?
Tuesday 8 July 2014 9.50pm
I would be really interested to know what your small uninterruptible power supply is because I work from home and was completely stuffed yesterday and I remember a power cut on my block from a few years back that went on for hours.

We have had several round here since, usually owing to the blocks of flats being built everywhere around here.

I need to power one computer and an internet connection.
Thank you.
Tuesday 8 July 2014 10.22pm
I just typed in UPS into Amazon and ordered the one with the highest VA rating for under 100 after having read the reviews.
Wednesday 9 July 2014 7.00am
Davies wrote:
I need to power one computer and an internet connection.
These things are not intended to keep your hardware going for any sort of extended period. They (and the software associated with them) are there to let you to save everything and shut down elegantly before they run out of juice themselves. Typically, if you haven't shut down yourself, they trigger autosaves of documents and the like before either shutting everything down for you or hibernating the machine by saving the machine state to hard disk so it can be resumed.

If you need an ininteruptable working environment then you need a laptop with a reliably long battery life, like one of Apple's Macbooks, and a fully charged smart phone that has a hotspot function that allows you to use the phone as a wireless router for the laptop. That way you can keep going for hours.
Wednesday 9 July 2014 8.39am
So, a second fully charged laptop battery is the cheaper option. Unless we get into full Zombie apocalpse mode then all bets are off.
Wednesday 9 July 2014 11.11am
We have APC UPS devices for our servers in the office to avoid possible data corruption from a power cut.

Wednesday 9 July 2014 11.59am
Residents at QH were kept awake all night long with drilling and banging outside on the south facing side of the building this time.
Quite understand if there is an emergency, and heard that a big cable had blown up, cutting the power supply.
Surprised to hear this though from one of our residents
"Have spoken to contractors at 240 Blackfriars this morning and from what I have been told the power failure was down to THEM. Yet again our lives have been made a misery with the generator outside the sub-station running all night and again this morning. When the hell are we going to get some peace and quiet!!"
Wednesday 9 July 2014 10.10pm
Thanks everyone.
I think what I would need is a generator and those are noisy and a nuisance.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: