Westminster Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 11 July 2014 1.37pm
Does anyone know which Borough is in charge of Westminster Bridge. I am sick and tired of seeing tourists being ripped off by lucky posy sellers and guys with the cup and ball game.

There were at least 7 separate groups of guys doing cup and ball this afternoon on Westminster bridge alone and 3 flower sellers. I actually witnessed one woman grab£20 out of an older gentleman's hand and put it down her bra (classy).

This is obviously illegal and they are there all the time taking advantage of people visiting this great city.

Why is nothing being done about it? It is the same people all the time.

Rant over,
Grumpy of SE1
Friday 11 July 2014 1.42pm
It's half in Lambeth and half in Westminster.

There's currently a special multi-borough, multi-agency police operation in that area:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7647

Kate Hoey (MP for the Lambeth half of the bridge) recently tweeted about a meeting she'd had at Scotland Yard on this subject:

https://twitter.com/hoeykatemp/status/473488005446266880

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 11 July 2014 1.53pm
I got gased out yesterday by the ice cream kiosk at the south side of the bridge (near the stairs) the generator or whatever it is at the side of the box was letting off toxic fumes.
Friday 11 July 2014 2.14pm
jcpse1 wrote:
...I am sick and tired of seeing tourists being ripped off by lucky posy sellers and guys with the cup and ball game...
Why is nothing being done about it?
I feel the same way. I cycle home from work across the bridge every evening and see the cup-and-ballers there more often than not. Also, last weekend on an afternoon stroll on the South Bank I saw a clutch of them right by the Millennium Bridge. What I don't see regularly is any visible police presence or action, so it's hard to take seriously the official pronouncements despite all their talk of commitment, determination, priority and duty.
Also on Westminster Bridge, what about the guys in shoddy fancy dress who hassle people to take a photo with them for payment? I don't have any reason to suspect they are thieves but they are surely a nuisance.
Friday 11 July 2014 2.32pm
This doesn't seem to have much effect then.
Friday 11 July 2014 3.44pm
clearly not. i am still reeling about it.
Friday 11 July 2014 4.12pm
I have no idea why, but these type of things are tolerated everywhere I've been on hols etc, whilst I've never bought a fake watch, I have returned with the odd wooden giraffe.
Friday 11 July 2014 6.32pm
I don't know much about the cup and ball games, but aren't the people who end up losing money actually trying to win money on it? As in, aren't they thinking they will outwit "the house" and profit? Unless I'm missing something it seems more like they're getting their comeuppance rather than being scammed.

Makes me think of this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-news/10566055/Art-experts-warn-of-the-rise-of-the-trappers.html
Friday 11 July 2014 6.57pm
reece wrote:
I don't know much about the cup and ball games, but aren't the people who end up losing money actually trying to win money on it? As in, aren't they thinking they will outwit "the house" and profit? Unless I'm missing something it seems more like they're getting their comeuppance rather than being scammed.
Makes me think of this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-news/10566055/Art-experts-warn-of-the-rise-of-the-trappers.html

I find the lucky posy women harder to stomach than the ball game scammers, probably because they play the nan/mum card, which somehow I seem to find much more amoral, which may explain why, to quote Jan, I usually tell them to go away sexually. That's not the way I normally speak to my nan, my mum or any other woman, but to me it's like these women betray the very essence of the mother/child emotion and trust by tricking you into their scam.
Friday 11 July 2014 7.46pm
I know a bloke who actually scammed the scammers in the cup and ball, it was at Epsom Racecourse, can't remember the story fully but I remember it was something to do with spotting the stooge in the crowd before she acted, he selected her cup at the same time as her and won £50, they weren't too happy by all accounts!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: