Gas supply Smart meters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 14 July 2014 4.49pm
Do you live in SE1 and have a smart GAS meter fitted?
Who is your supplier?
Do you know of any suppliers planning to install smart meters in SE1?

Thanks
Monday 14 July 2014 5.27pm
Graham, I am with british gas, and when i called engineer in to move the stupid place the meter had been put in ( a cupboard in my tiny living room) he wanted to put it on top of the cupboard, I said No, he said 'well smart meters are coming next year' and that was last year.
Monday 14 July 2014 6.51pm
Here in Draper Tower, the long suffering residents are having our gas meters moved*, and, if, if we have smart meters fitted they might just fit into a kitchen cupboard, rather than clutter our balconies.

*following the weight of the scaffolding cracking a gas main by the front door.
Tuesday 15 July 2014 10.21am
I am with British Gas, live in Searles Road, SE1 and have had a letter from BG saying all meters are being changed to smart meters. Fortunately our gas meters are outside in a separate cupboard.
Tuesday 15 July 2014 10.51am
I have had a letter from First Utility to ask if I can arrange a time to swap out for smart meters
does anyone know how long they take to swap out (both gas and electricity)?
Monday 21 July 2014 5.50am
I am clueless as to how anyone is keen on having their utility bills jacked up for an initiative that will only be ultimately used to.... Well, jack your bills up still more!

In tests they don't even work in a significant number of properties, where they can't get a signal to transmit data on. So these still need reading the old fashoned way (or not reading and the bill profitably over-estimated instead). This will be despite the fact the utility company will have indirectly charged you for this new and useless meter by jacking up your bill. Sadly, there is no avoiding the smart meter tax even if you refuse to have one, which you can legally do for the moment.

In practice, smart meeters are the back door to your energy usage being snooped on so the utility companies (and others, who can access this data) will know when you get up, go to work, get in, go to bed, cook meals, have a bath or shower, are on holiday, do the laundry, and all the rest that can be infered by when you are and are not using energy and how much.

Moreover, you will almost inevitably be faced with peak and off-peak billing, with what you are being charged being varied by the season, hour and day of the week. This can only ever be used to confuse the consumer even more as to why their bills are getting ever higher and the utility company profits can only soar as a result.
Monday 21 July 2014 8.23am
In the future then BoroughBloke can I refuse one? can I refuse access to install one? as I have very low usage of both gas and electric being on my own..(I remember 1947 as being bitterlycold and all we burnt in our one room was old timber and odd leather shoes we found in the bombed houses! and we never felt the cold!) I dont like the sound of companies assuming when I have used either gas or electricity.
Monday 21 July 2014 9.37am
boroughbloke wrote:
In practice, smart meeters are the back door to your energy usage being snooped on so the utility companies (and others, who can access this data) will know when you get up, go to work, get in, go to bed, cook meals, have a bath or shower, are on holiday, do the laundry, and all the rest that can be infered by when you are and are not using energy and how much.
Moreover, you will almost inevitably be faced with peak and off-peak billing, with what you are being charged being varied by the season, hour and day of the week. This can only ever be used to confuse the consumer even more as to why their bills are getting ever higher and the utility company profits can only soar as a result.

I was going to write my first and last balanced and nuanced reply to a forum post, but it's a busy, busy day so I'll just say that I strongly believe this to be scaremongering horsesh*t and ask any mongees to google 'smart meter data privacy'.
Monday 21 July 2014 12.03pm
Policies are statements of intent. They can be changed almost instantly if the need or desire arises. I have absolutely no doubt that pressure will be there for usage to be monitored 'to better serve our customers'. We will be told that such information will be vital to enable utility companies to 'intelligently predict demand' or to improve 'efficiency' and all the rest. Of course, once it is recorded, the pressure will be on for others to be able to access the same data, or better still (for those recording it) pay for it!)

Same thing as already happens when people are foolish enough to sign up to loyalty cards, and especially Facebook and all the rest, and they then randomly click benign looking OK boxes that suddenly give whole other corporations access to their data, which is then propagated out all over the show and eventually escapes the control of UK legislation completely.
Thursday 24 July 2014 11.10pm
No you don't have to have a "smart" meter whatever your energy company says.
No it doesn't save you any money because most people can get behind the idea that if you turn an appliance off then you aren't paying energy bills for it all by themselves.
The estimated increase to everyone's bills for the installation of smart meters whether you have one or not is about 200.
A smart meter installed by one company may not work with another.
Each smart meter uses a WIFI signal to phone home to the energy company which means a LOT more WIFI in our already crowded skies.
The Italians installed a much better system that works through the existing power cables.
No extra WIFI which only half the country can get anyway.
If having your every watt controlled remotely by your very expensive Power Company is your idea of a good time.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: