Hyperoptic in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 July 2014 11.33am
We have been chosen!
Hooray our building has been given the opportunity to get this service. They gave a presentation and said that they have serviced quite a few blocks in Southwark. Just want to know if anyone has had it installed what their verdict is? They don't seem to provide TV yet, so do you know if you can cancel the service after say a year if it's not for you and go to another cable provider e.g. Virgin using their cables?
Tuesday 15 July 2014 12.45pm
Koykat, out of interest, where abouts are you in se1? I've contacted Hyperoptic a couple times because I'd really like to get the service but never heard back...
Wednesday 16 July 2014 9.11am
Koykat, I have never heard of it..what is it? :-)
Wednesday 16 July 2014 10.08am
We've had used the Gigabit broadband package and telephone service for a year. It's quick - too quick almost. Not many sites/services out there can pump back data fast enough to fill the pipe. To give you an idea, just ran a speedtest - 543Mb/sec down, 729Mb/sec up. Kicks BT's top rated Infinity 2 in the whatchacallits, and if you're still using old-school phone line broadband it's different planet time. Bear in mind this is using a fully wired connection to my PC - you won't get that speed using wifi (although even that's managing 30/Mb on my phone).

Whenever I've called support they've been quick to answer and the person answering has answered my question. The handled a move from one flat to another smoothly. Service has never gone down.

I will try to think of something negative.
Wednesday 16 July 2014 12.26pm
They do strata, people speak highly of it.
Wednesday 16 July 2014 8.27pm
Hey thanks everyone....the downside is just found out that the cables they use are direct to them - not to the BT cabinet, so you can't swop to another provider in the future. Plus I was hoping for cable TV so I didn't have to put a satellite on my balcony but they don't do it, but say they are having trials with YouView. I thought that if it wasn't for me I could swop to say virgin after the tie-in - but Openreach can't use their cables and likewise Hyperoptic. Though I can't see why with a bit of jiggery pokery why BT couldn't use Hyperoptic cables.
Jan - it's a broadband internet provider that do the whole lot - cables.
Gary - am very SE1 near the river half council half private near blackfriars. You have to be in a block for them to consider you not individual homes. I've tried Virgin, BT and cable my street and none want to bring the cable that is 200metres away to our building, they've done all the new builds but left us out. It's insane. This seems the only option, but obviously the entire building will be wired up with their cables and can only ever use their service -so it seems. Guess i'll have to get that satellite dish after all.
TTT
Thursday 17 July 2014 12.47pm
Hi all,

yes, Hyperoptic uses their own infrastructure. Switching is not difficult, like switching between Virgin and BT, there are arrangements in place to transfer telephone numbers etc.

I live on Nelson Square and would love Hyperoptic, but unfortunately, other residents don't seem so keen :(

A friend has the Gigabit version, and it's truly brilliant (and cheap compared to BT)!
Friday 18 July 2014 9.49am
Best ISP I've ever had. (Strata)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: