20 mph speed limit not for Bikes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
Thursday 24 July 2014 1.11pm
Apparently the new 20 mph speed limit will not be for bikes. Of course bikes don't have speedos do they so how would they know. Very reasonable you may think, but are there any motorised vehicle drivers like me who find that they are maintaining the 20 mph by checking their speedo constantly and finding less time to spot the cyclists undertaking and overtaking simultaneously close to either side of your vehicle at 25 mph or more. Accidents waiting to happen... Please change the law so it applies to all road users, or none. Cyclists buy a speedo please. Let's co-exist in a sensible way. 20 mph could work well but not if cyclists are speeding past you on both sides.
Thursday 24 July 2014 2.21pm
Actually, you've misread the article - while nationally, bicycles are not normally included, Southwark is using the term 'vehicles' to make sure bicycles are included within the limits.

"In a break with the national convention that speed limits only apply to motor vehicles, the council plans to include horse-drawn carriages and bicycles in the scope of the reduced speed limit by referring simply to 'vehicles' in its proposed traffic management order."

Of course, it is difficult for a law abiding person to build up to 30mph on a bike in between starting and stopping at traffic lights every few hundred metres, so should rarely have to slow anyone down anyway, and I suspect those people ignoring traffic lights won't worry too much about ignoring speed limits either - whether on a bike or behind the steering wheel of a car.
Thursday 24 July 2014 2.46pm
Mmm really, I do hope I have misread the article, even so I am regularly overtaken by bikes whilst doing 20 mph on Grange Road, just one example as I know it well. In fact I nearly caused a bike/car crash once when slowing down to 20 mph entering the zone and the bike behind failed to notice!
Thursday 24 July 2014 2.46pm
Guy's street wrote:
... Southwark is using the term 'vehicles' to make sure bicycles are included within the limits...

Looks like the relevant legislation doesn't actually permit Southwark Council to do such a thing anyway:
see here

Jerry wrote:
... cyclists undertaking and overtaking simultaneously close to either side of your vehicle at 25 mph or more ... 20 mph could work well but not if cyclists are speeding past you on both sides.

I take the point Jerry but it's a largely academic one. I have a speedometer on my bike and I can assure you that 20 mph, never mind 25 mph, is more aspirational than feasible for ordinary cyclists on urban streets.
Thursday 24 July 2014 2.49pm
Mmm really, I do hope I have misread the article, even so I am regularly overtaken by bikes whilst doing 20 mph on Grange Road, just one example as I know it well. In fact I nearly caused a bike/car crash once when slowing down to 20 mph entering the zone and the bike behind failed to notice!
I was surprised bikes can do 20 mph so easily, but it turns out bike technology (and people's fitness!) has moved ahead significantly in recent years. Don't try it on a Boris bike though...
Thursday 24 July 2014 8.02pm
Until horses, bicycles, skates and skateboards are required to be fitted with speedometers, they cannot be held liable to breaking the speed limit.

Thursday 24 July 2014 8.20pm
Jules62 wrote:
Until horses, bicycles, skates and skateboards are required to be fitted with speedometers, they cannot be held liable to breaking the speed limit.

I think once more it's a question of common sense and respecting fellow road users. If you are whizzing past cars that are moving at a normal pace, you may want to slow down a bit.
Zoe
Thursday 24 July 2014 9.22pm
I find very few cars stick to 20mph and it would be good if the council put up more signs to remind people that they are in a twenty zone.
Thursday 24 July 2014 11.40pm
Zoe wrote:
I find very few cars stick to 20mph and it would be good if the council put up more signs to remind people that they are in a twenty zone.

I don't think signs make a huge difference to be honest. Too much going on already, they're easily missed. I always found speedbumps quite effective. They probably work for some bikes as well, although maybe not mountain bikes and BMX's...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: