New Blackfriars Rd restaurant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 16 May 2001 12.14pm
At the end of this month, according to the Observer Food Monthly, Baltic will open at 74 Blackfriars Rd, next to The Ring pub, opposite Southwark tube. It will be an Eastern European restaurant with blinis, smoked fish, vodka, etc.
desser
Wednesday 16 May 2001 4.10pm
Where next to the Ring? Like right next door? I haven't noticed anything much happening, there is a new pizzeria opening in the old honest goose on the cut though.

anyway laughing gravy is still my favourite
sue
Monday 21 May 2001 5.23pm
any new restaurants are welcome around here, especially a good variety. Taz is pretty good, and a Russian type restaurant would be welcomed by my Russian daughter in law. There is a great newish Thai - the Lye Torng, where the old Gibraltar/Bedlam pub was in St George's Road. Great food and great value, and a pretty decent little wine list.
Tuesday 22 May 2001 9.13am
Haven't been to Laughing Gravy yet - what sort of food do they do? Is it noisy? The reason I ask is that heard it was good restaurant and thought could take my parents there for dinner at the weekend.
Friday 25 May 2001 9.54am
Yes, Baltic will be right next door to the Ring at 74 Blackfriars Road. Not sure what it was before, but there is a faded old sign saying "Established 1839". This morning it was looking very unfinished -- still boards covering the whole front -- so that end-of-May opening looks a bit optimistic.

The Honest Goose has indeed closed, but the pizza place replacing it is supposed to bevery good, and there is always their sister restaurant The Honest Cabbage on Bermondsey Street.
Monday 4 June 2001 6.14pm
We had an awful meal at Lye Tong when it opened - so we have not been back - perhaps it has got better...Dolce Vita in London Road is reliably good
Des
Tuesday 5 June 2001 11.25am
only had a few beers in Lye Torng but had a meal at Dolce Vita and didn't think it was up to much.

I think the best restaurants/bars with food i've been to are:
The Loft
L.Gravy
Tas
Windmill
Bar Citrus
Capital Kebabs

Meson Don Felipe is OK, bit over rated same with Firestation

Dolce Vita, Southbank Tandoori and Cubana are not great and I haven't tried anywhere else

Anyone got suggestions of other good places?

Also, I know it is outside SE1 but has anyone been to the Chinese place on Old Kent Road with the Elvis Impersonator? Is it any good?
Wednesday 13 June 2001 2.34pm
You can now see the work being finished off inside Baltic at 74 Blackfriars Rd, and one of the chaps wokring there said it is due to open on Saturday 16th.
Saturday 16 June 2001 6.59pm
I live a few doors down and it's scheduled to open next Tues 19th - well that what it says on the sign outside.

Lets hope it's a useful addition as I went last week to Pizza Paradiso which was awful - bad service backed up by terrible pizza and possibly the worst 'anti-pasti' I've ever eaten. So, I suppose I'll continue to wander over to Belvedere Rd/Whitehouse to Pizza Express , not great but competent -unless anyone knows somewhere else?
Monday 18 June 2001 11.13am
There\'s a Thai restaurant down the Lower Marshes and the food is very good. They do buffets for around 7 during the week which aren\'t up to much but the set meals are of a high standard and reasonably priced. If you want to go out for a quiet meal, that\'s the place to go.

Has anybody tried the Thai restaurant across from Waterloo Stn??
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: