Getting a key fob for my front door - a tale of bureaucracy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
TTT
Monday 4 August 2014 11.21am
So I needed a new key fob from the council for my front door.
That's been the case for a while, but I left it, since I heard that the old Walworth office burnt down, and all the fobs with it.
So I emailed my housing officer, who confirmed you cannot get a fob online or by post, but you have to show up in person at the one-stop-shop in Walworth Road (in my case), three miles away.
Furthermore, you cannot actually call the one-stop-shop (by design), so there is no way of checking if they have the fobs.
I am not fortunate enough to be unemployed (it's only open Mon-Fri, 9-5), so I took a plunge of faith (and a day off) and went to the one-stop-shop on 376 Walworth Road.

There was a queue of about ten people, and roughly 30 minutes later, I was seen by an officer. I had to fill in a form, which he signed.
The one-stop-shop does not take cheques (contrary to my housing officer's advice), so I set off on a journey to the payments office, about 3/4 mile away.
There was a queue of about 40 people, and nearly one hour later, I departed with my money (17 per fob) and received a receipt.
I duly returned to the one-stop-shop with the receipt, and joined the queue again to be seen by an officer.
After some more waiting in the queue, a different officer then took the receipt and the original form, and transferred the form given to me earlier line-by-line into his computer. After doing that for about 15min, he then went off to 'check' if they had any key fobs in stop (lucky me, they did!).
The whole process took about three hours, but luckily, I now have a fob that actually works.

It strikes me that this sort of procedure is not particularly efficient (let alone convenient).
Is there anybody we can raise this with?
How much easier would it be for both the council and residents if you could simply request a fob by post!?!
Monday 4 August 2014 11.33am
But think how many people would be laid off if that sort of efficiency was introduced.
TTT
Monday 4 August 2014 12.14pm
Not necessarily!

I walked through Nursery Row Gardens on my way back - a pretty sorry sight.
We could employ more gardeners from the saved money.

I'm also not very happy about the lack of a public swimming pool nearby (I hear E&C is re-opening in 2015); a new sports centre we could afford from efficiency savings would also need admin staff.

Never mind employment though, we rent out the one-stop-shop (not so one-stop it turn out anyway!) and create rental income to put back into the community.
Monday 4 August 2014 2.30pm
Save money goes back into the "big wig's" salary pots no re-investment into the community

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: