poignant reminder..

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 6 August 2014 2.19pm
Of the people who were evicted from the Heygate, outside on one the few remaining blocks, stashed on a landing were several pictures in frames. Perhaps when they were put on the walls of the tenants flat they never realised that in 2014 their homes and their possesions were going to be destroyed. daft I know but it really upset me.:-(
Wednesday 6 August 2014 8.17pm
It is really sad having to bear witness to the callous disregard and hi-handed attitude our Council has displayed to the thousands of people forced out of the Heygate Estate.

They have been scattered across London and beyond so that big business developers can engage in a money driven social engineering real estate speculation.

LBS sold off the Heygate for a plate of beans (50,000,000: way, way, WAY below the market value of the freehold value of the land), the community that inhabited it now scattered and leaseholders offered risible purchase order valuations.

The photos mentioned by Jan truly are a poignant reminder of a community torn apart by greedy developers and complicit local authority elected representatives.
Wednesday 6 August 2014 8.35pm
In military terms this was divide and conquer and slash and burn, it just goes to show the contempt the planners and their councillor cohorts hold in the residents and ratepayers
Thursday 7 August 2014 11.10am
If any of you read Private Eye, Southwark Council have made the "rotten boroughs" section this issue with exactly this scandal.

Nice to think of those responsible squirming a little... but I'm sure their bulging bank balances make up for it :-(
Thursday 7 August 2014 2.02pm
Where next? Southwark Council won't stop at the Heygate, that's for sure.
Thursday 7 August 2014 4.53pm
Indeed, suziq. Flushed with success they will continue, spinning the story so it looks as though they are doing us a favour.

When our home was threatened a colleague sent me this.

Scaring the Living Daylights Out of People - The Local Lobby and the Failure of Local Democracy
published by Spinwatch - article about Peter John and the relationship between Southwark and developers
Thursday 7 August 2014 9.12pm
I never realised that we, the ratepayers of southwark had to pay for the demolition of all those homes, 44 sodding million to destroy people's lives ...profit for that is a pitiful 50 million for 22 acres of central London,, complete with lovely mature woodland (. Well almost) Only 79 social flats for tenants, probably one bed., so the other 2,500 or so overseas purchasers won't be disturbed by children playing, no doubt no one from the homeless applications will be rehoused on the utopia of 'elephant park' Who ever gave the final decision of the theft of southwark's land and properties should end up in court or in the stocks...
Thursday 7 August 2014 11.31pm
History will look upon these times as scandalous.
Saturday 16 August 2014 5.19pm
Who the heck voted Labour back in last May's local elections?
Saturday 16 August 2014 9.35pm
Nobody votes for council officials who are corrupt, in an ethical manner, and are looking to further their careers and bank balances in the private business world by being more than obliging to land developers
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: