Isabella Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 9 August 2014 1.29am
I'm sure James will know the answer to most of these questions; who owns Isabella Street, both the 'road' and the 'pavement' either side. Also, does anyone know how much footage the bars along that street are legally allowed to occupy?
Saturday 9 August 2014 9.11am
During the construction of the Jubilee Line and Southwark Underground Station I had regular contact with architects and the engineer Desiree Octavius who was assigned to our residents' association to minimise the untoward effects the construction would have upon us. I was assured by both that Isabella Street would remain in the public realm but would be closed to through traffic and be gated each end because it was to be the emergency access road for the emergency services to the businesses that would develop, it needed to be gated to stop the road being blocked and preventing access by others such as delivery drivers and minicabs and taxis.The parking meters were prevented being extended in Hatfields because "they would make it difficult for fire engines to gain entrance". Equally the footpaths either side of the , now narrower, Isabella Street would remain public footpaths.
I fear our lack of persistence in questioning and challenging Southwark Council about the matter Has resulted in the loss of our street. Mea culpa.
I suspect that this was always going to be a war of attrition and big money has won yet again. The businesses have vastly increased their profitmaking floorspaceand the council has swelled its coffers by renting out the road and footpaths.
It would be interesting to find out exactly how much Southwark rakes in for this dubious practice.
Saturday 9 August 2014 12.17pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
It would be interesting to find out exactly how much Southwark rakes in for this dubious practice.

Councils can permit businesses to put chairs and tables outside their premises under the Highways Act 1980.

Southwark does so on an annual licence, for which it charges 75 per chair, per year.
Saturday 9 August 2014 9.24pm
Thank you Truthmonkey. Surely there is more to it than that.
Tables? Plants and plantpots? How much?
Restricted areas for customers only by fencing? The road taken over? How much?
Surely the council cannot charge rent for an emergency access road.
The total income from renting out our footpaths and road must be available, hoedo we go about getting such information?
Saturday 9 August 2014 11.05pm
So what is the problem? If you live close by the late night noise may be an issue, and you have my sympathy.

But I find it to great to have this vibrant hub close by.

And Bunhouse, it is not "big business", it is hard working Turks running EV and TAS. Jack's bar is , I think, owned by the local who owns a number of pubs close by.

I often have lunch in the EV cafe, good food, well priced and in a nice environment.

What are you after, running drag racers down the street?
Sunday 10 August 2014 10.44am
Theedy, I don't want or need your sympathy, it doesn't lessen the noise.
Neither does it address the problem of the loss of public space.
Surely you could find a more contemptuous remark than one about drag racing
Sunday 10 August 2014 4.03pm
EV/Tas is a chain of about 14, so not so small. Jack's Bar is part of Windmill Taverns Ltd which owns about 5 pubs in this location; again, not so small. Business activity should take place in the business and not on the public highway. I suspect there would be more complaints if it was mobile hot-dog stands etc, but the principle is the same. Now I know there is an outdoor table charge who can I contact to find out what the arrangement is on Isabella Street. As an aside, I sat in a license meeting on Friday; Jack's Bar had put in a temporary drinks license until 3am (for yesterday). They didn't get it and this was mostly to do with the noise complaints, but according to the Jack's Bar representaive, there's usually only 3-5 people outside smoking. (In fact there was a strong implication on her part that it was only smokers outside.) There was 66 on a quick count last night and it had been raining.
Sunday 10 August 2014 10.25pm

on noise you have my sympathy, so in Roupell Street there is an agreement that no one drinks outside he Kings Arms after 9pm. And the staff enforce it.

Maybe something similar could be enforced in Isabella Street. ButI do think EV is a treasure.
Monday 11 August 2014 12.13am
Oh I like EV too; I often eat there. Without doubt the owner has made that area an attractive place to be, and on the whole, not much noise comes from EV in the evening. Most of the noise comes from Jack's Bar and, at weekends, Thai Silk. At the license application meeting, the Jack's Bar representative told the committee that they were not the only bar to 'play loud music' LOL. She also said that they now have new speakers and they are pointing inside the bar not outside like the old ones; I couldn't believe what I was hearing. They are not supposed to have anyone outside the premises after 11pm, which in my opinion is too late on a working night, however, they never obey this condition on their license. Interesting that the pub on Roupell Street is owned by the same company and they stick to the rules there, could it be because it is in Lambeth, or they are fearful of the 'residents' association' in that area?
Monday 18 August 2014 9.15pm
I have been told by Southwark council's environment team that the street does belong to Southwark Council. I had wondered if it was TfL.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: