Isabella Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Saturday 23 August 2014 11.52pm
Just walked past the row of restaurants under the arches... the only (and quite big) noise came from a drunk party sitting outside EV, they were singing or at least trying to. A bouncer was busy chatting to some people by the plants. Jacks music could almost not be heard outside and their two bouncers were on the door.

I also like EV a lot as a place to eat, but if they are not checking their guests are quiet outside the blame might fall on the other venues which actually do their job? Just my observations tonight - can't say how it is most nights
Sunday 24 August 2014 1.14pm
Nelson you are quite right in stating that it was quite noisy on Isabella Street last night but it was nowhere near as noisy as usual. I'm pleased to note that you identified where the noise was coming from because it seemed to me that EV was becoming a sacred cow which we couldn't criticise because we all use it and really enjoy doing so.
If Jack's Bar and THai Silk were operating at usual noise levels then you would have appreciated what a noisy madhouse must sound like
Zoe
Sunday 24 August 2014 1.20pm
Don't worry, karen and I are as critical of Ev as we are of Jacks and Thai Silk when we complain to Southwark!

I think the issue about ownership of the street is not whether it belongs to Soithwark but whether it was unadopted as a road.
Zoe
Sunday 24 August 2014 1.21pm
*Southwark
Sunday 24 August 2014 2.13pm
I don't understand what you mean by the term "unadopted as a road" It was quite clearly a public road before the Jubilee Line extension was built and was reinstated at the end of the works as Isabella Street again and is still known as such.
Zoe
Sunday 24 August 2014 9.18pm
I agree with you, but some at Southwark has suggested that Southwark unadopted it as a road, ie they took away Southwark's legal control over it for parking etc. I have never found if this was actually true but the parking guys never ticket cars there.
Monday 25 August 2014 1.23am
Southwark council has told me the road is theirs. I assume they don't ticket because no one has thought to paint in lines or put up parking signs. Possibly because it!s seen as a pedestrianised road. I have put in a FOI request to find out exactly how much space the bars are allowed to use ie what they pay for. It really annoys me that EV has a sign up saying no smoking in the garden when the 'garden' seems to take over the whole width of the public space. I don't smoke btw. Yesterday, it was impossible to get down the road without having to move people or furniture. EV has put all it's old seating on the opposite side of the road and this is used by patrons. Last year they even put notices on them saying they were reserved for EV customers. All this just encourages it's patrons to spread out and we suffer the noise, and it's the volume of people shouting and laughing that carries into our properties that is just as irritating as loud music.
Zoe
Monday 25 August 2014 10.09am
I have been told several times in the past that they shouldn't use the road past the first pavement and in the past they came out and enforced it, however lots of council staff have been out lately and never done anything about it, so either that was wrong or the staff now aren't bothered by this rule (or it wasn't clearly written down).
Monday 25 August 2014 10.10am
Well judging by that lady customer attempting to sing on Saturday night I do feel your pain. I really wanted to slap her (not condoning violence of course) and was only passing, and had had a few myself!
Zoe
Monday 25 August 2014 2.09pm
I must confess to occasional feelings of violence when people are outside shouting at 2am. I sometimes lean over the balcony and yell at people, but really I want to go down and slap them! (Like Nelson I of course do not condone violence and do not go slapping people, I am just saying how I feel).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network