Leathermarket Gardens sealed off

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 11 August 2014 7.48am
The Gardens were entirely sealed off by police tape (and police officers) as I walked past it at 8am-ish. Hope it's nothing too horrible...
Monday 11 August 2014 9.35am
I wonder what has happened still all sealed off by police tape at 10:30 ?
Monday 11 August 2014 10.31am
There was a lot of shouting and dogs barking last night but that's all I know
Monday 11 August 2014 11.36am
I heard that a police officer got stabbed. @urbanite, what time did you hear the shouting etc?
Monday 11 August 2014 5.35pm
Glad that the stabbing bit was just Chinese whispers!
Monday 11 August 2014 6.01pm
wellpastbedtime wrote:
Glad that the stabbing bit was just Chinese whispers!

Agreed, and good news that they caught the suspects.
Monday 18 August 2014 5.50pm
Hi all,

Just registered to let you know what happened that night.

A hooded guy came onto our balcony on tyers estate after 12.30am.
My sister heard him outside and immediately switched off the kitchen light so she could get a look, he was looking at the windows and around the balcony.
through the window she asked what he was doing and he said he was being chased by some men and other things to try to get her to open the front door.

She called the police as he looked very suspicious and would not put his head up so she could see his face.
The police stayed on the phone with my sister while they dispatched a unit.

Minutes later a few men in plain clothes came onto the balcony also, my sister said to the police on the phone that there were other men now, they got the guy against the railings.

My sister stuck her head out the door and asked who they were they said they were police but the police on the phone said the police were not there yet and to ask them for their badge number, the one handcuffing the guy said he would show it as soon as he could.

She said the guy said he is being chased by some men and the arresting officer said no, he tried to mug and stab me in the park but his vest prevented any damage but he was seriously annoyed.

They then started looking for the knife, thinking he may have stashed it on one of the balconies.
My neighbors dogs were really going crazy with all the noise.
They didn't find the knife around here and then went back to the park to look for it.

First there was the moment of doubt that the guy was telling the truth about guys chasing him when the others came onto the balcony, then the more serious thought that this guy had just attempted to stab someone and if it was a little while earlier when my sister was sitting outside having a cigarette god knows what could have happened.

Something like that happening around here is not good, coming onto your balcony, any resident, especially the elderly residents who are not very fast or if he had managed to get in what about those who have children? they all could have been in danger which is very frightening.

If the estate had security doors/intercom to access the blocks this type of thing would be minimized.
I urge anyone living on this estate or in the area to write to the Local Housing office JMB to request for them to add long over due security to the blocks.

Bermondsey Street is a great place to live and obviously brings a lot of money to the area but that brings the undesirable to the area also and the councils have to keep up with this to keep the area safe and keep its residents safe and deter this kind of thing.

Sorry to ramble on but this is a very frightening situation.

Thanks for reading.
Monday 18 August 2014 5.57pm
Hope your sister is ok. Sounds very frightening
Monday 18 August 2014 6.03pm
That is a frightening story, thanks for sharing and I am glad none of you guys suffered any serious harm.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: