Rainy day photography locations?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 11 August 2014 11.55am
Hi all

Bit of an odd request - my fiancÚ and I are having a photo shoot this sunday in the SE1 area, to get to know our wedding photographer. We've lived here together for about 18 months, and when he proposed to me in December he sent me on a treasure hunt around various places that have significance for us (Tower Bridge, Hays Galleria, Borough Market, etc)...very romantic!

The plan for sunday is to have our photos taken in these places, but the weather forecast is saying rain :( We'll brave it anyway, but I was trying to think of some undercover options nearby in case it's a serious downpour, and so far I'm coming up a bit blank, aside from pubs etc. Can anyone recommend somewhere potentially atmospheric or photogenic where we can keep dry, preferably not pay an entrance fee, and be able to take photos without annoying too many people?

Any suggestions welcomed! Thanks in advance :)
Monday 11 August 2014 12.42pm
Try around Southwark Street
You have those amazing light fittings against the wall under the railway arch and the Paul Smith looking wall sculpture towards the top end near to Blackfriars Rd.
A friend of mine had their test shots done in this area and they look amazing.

Plus you have the market nearby which is all undercover and Red Cross Garden which has a covered area.

Hope all goes well.
Monday 11 August 2014 1.02pm
I'm slightly confused by your request, tbh. Both Hays Galleria and Borough Market are covered. There are also covered passages under each ends of Tower Bridge... Rain shouldn't be an issue.

However as mentioned by EWJ1974, using the various railway bridges in the area could also be an option and there is a covered section of the Thames foot path between the Galleria and London Bridge with view on the city. You may also be able to use the platforms of Blackfriars Station with views on the river or the new entrance of London Bridge Station, though that's possibly a little more tricky as those are private properties.
Monday 11 August 2014 1.17pm
Thanks both - re-reading my post, I guess I meant indoors rather than undercover, in case of a full-on storm (cold, wind, etc) rather than just rain. Sorry to be confusing!

But these suggestions definitely useful in case of drizzle...and I'd completely forgotten about the Paul Smith-esque wall under the railway bridge. Thanks!
Monday 11 August 2014 1.23pm
Hays Galleria
Underneath Tower Bridge (looking towards City Hall or Shad Thames)
Under the walkways on Shad Thames
In some of the alleyways in and around Shad Thames (by the Piazza, Ginger Wharf, Cinnamon Wharf)
Borough Market hall
Under the bridges on Southwark Street (Redcross Way has cool LED lighting, the one by Blackfriars Road has the 'Paul Smith' striping) or Bermondsey Street (with lots of LED lights)

Over the river, but Leadenhall Market is always beautiful.
Monday 11 August 2014 1.35pm
Elephant and Castle shopping centre ;)
Monday 11 August 2014 7.27pm
Hi Alyson,

In Borough Market there is a pub called Brew Wharf Yard (opposite Black & Blue). To the left of it there are lots of multicoloured (opened) umbrellas suspended in the air; these would shelter you from any light rain and also look very pretty! If you go when it is getting dark they have moving lights on the handles that look like raindrops!

I wonder, if you asked in advance, if Shortwave cinema on Bermondsey St would let you use the cinema in between showings...

Good luck for Sunday :)
Monday 11 August 2014 8.43pm
I agree that Brew Wharf yard would be the perfect location - especially as you get great puddle reflections as an added bonus in the rain: http://anenchantedeye.com/2014/07/28/not-just-for-rainy-days/
Tuesday 12 August 2014 9.41am
These are some great suggestions, particularly Brew Wharf! I'd seen the umbrellas there before but completely forgot about them...will make a great photo :)

Thanks everyone!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: