Ruse Pub, Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Sunday 17 August 2014 11.44am
12:39 on the first Sunday of the football league and the tune-less snippets of "You'll Never a Walk Alone" are being yelled from Rise.

On Past form the orchestral sounds of breaking glass and fighting will be added later on.

What can be done? Week after week it's just too much!
Sunday 17 August 2014 12.12pm
From what I've seen it always seems good natured, and as the matches are typically in the daytime doesn't cause much disturbance to sleep etc. But if there are fights going on thenI'm not a liverpool fan, but do quite like having London's main liverpool supporters pub in our neck of the wood.
Sunday 17 August 2014 5.56pm
If you call racist, sexist and homphobic abuse littered with a broad range of expletives 'good natured' then you've obviously got different limits than me. Frankly, I find it intimidating and as far as I'm concerned the place needs closing unless the management does something about it.
Monday 18 August 2014 2.33pm
If you think that place is bad, be grateful you don't live nearer the Dover Castle!
Monday 18 August 2014 2.52pm
I live not too far from both of these establishments
The RUSE as it is known has only become this type of venue in the last 12 months or so
I think the level of noise yesterday was unacceptable
It started at midday and carried on for circa 7 hours
This is a highly populated residential area and this type of behaviour is not acceptable (I cannot tell you how many times "We'll Never Walk Alone" was "sung"!!).
I can only say I have walked passed Dover Castle a few times and have not witnessed any such behaviour.
Monday 18 August 2014 5.59pm
Why not go in and complain? Tell them if it happens again you will get the noise people involved
Monday 18 August 2014 8.22pm
You are joking about going in to complain? It's intimidating enough to make you walk on the other side of the street.

I agree with another comment too that I have never once seen this sort of behaviour outside the Dover Castle. Indeed, I've never seen this sort of behaviour outside any pub this side of a few hundred yards from a football gound and that was only becauase the police had not got round to having it closed down on a match day.
Monday 18 August 2014 10.16pm
I've obviously never seen the worst of it then. I've passed it a few times on a match day and heard you'll never walk alone being chanted, but never encountered any racist abuse or fighting.

I agree with the suggestion to speak to the management behind the bar - it's fairly quiet on weekday evenings so maybe pop in then. Or email them if you're worried about showing your face.

Unfortunately Borough high street seems to be littered with nuisance locations - Belushi's, St Chrisopher's Inn, The Blue Eyed Maid, Dover Castle, and now Ruse.
Tuesday 19 August 2014 11.54am
I would like to point out that Ruse has now been open under the same management for over 14 years, and prior to that it was a pub for over 50 years. Far longer than much of the residential accommodation on Great Suffolk Street apart from the council flats. Wasn't this largely the Ministry of Sound's recent argument regarding people moving into areas where pubs/bars/clubs exist.

Ruse has been looking after Liverpool fans (plus Arsenal, ManU, rugby, cricket fans etc) since 2003 and has regularly had major games since that time.

It also has an incredibly diverse clientele, even more so on Liverpool match days, with a high proportion of SE1 professionals, ethnic minorities and females attending. The racist, sexist & homophobic abuse comments is something that neither I nor any of my predominately female staff recognise. As the father of a young daughter, and the husband of a mixed race lady, it just would not be tolerated.

I would also like to highlight the fact that as far as I am aware, there has never been a fight in or around Ruse in a Liverpool related issue. The police have certainly never been called to such an incident in 13 years. As another poster has commented the banter outside is invariably friendly.

We work very closely with the police, and people passing on Sunday would have noticed that 2 suited security staff were patrolling the front & side doors to maintain order and keep the highway clear.

There were no broken glasses or bottles outside on Sunday evening, as we have not allowed them outside of Ruse at any time of the day, on any day, for well over a month. Broken glass would just not be in keeping with the new hanging baskets.

With regard to blocking the pathway, that it something that I will speak to my staff about, however it is considerably less than the complete blocking of the footpath (at a pedestrian crossing) that regular occurs outside of the Libertine and can occur outside of the Trinity & Roebuck. The noise levels outside those 3 establishments can also be loud on a Friday & other evenings. Parts of SE1 and whole of SE16 also has to listen to the New Den singing every week or so & that can be very boisterous. I won't even mention the regular carnage at London Bridge station on most match days from various teams.

I do apologise if the noise levels have at times got out of hand, and will endeavour to at keep the noise in-house, and will instruct my staff accordingly.

Ruse is a great bar, well supported by the local community and local businesses. It is one of the few truly safe places for people to go in SE London. If you are not sure about, that take a look at the number of individual or small groups of ladies who are in there every midweek evening. Tony
Tuesday 19 August 2014 12.19pm
TonyCap wrote:
The police have certainly never been called to such an incident in 13 years.

I don't believe this to be true. I have seen the police attend once, so perhaps there have been more.

We've been here for 50 years isn't a great argument. Plenty of pubs have existing in residential areas for centuries without problems. You seem to be suggesting that it's tough for the residents.

I totally support you as a business. Your karaoke on a Friday night can be heard as far as Trinity Church Square but is good natured and perfectly reasonable on a Friday night.

However I'm still concerned about 8 hours of intimidating and endless singing and shouting most weekends from noon. It's just too much. I don't have a solution, but let's hope one can be found that allows you to run a business and us to enjoy our homes.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: