traffic yesterday...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 20 August 2014 9.03am
I travelled back to london from derby yesterday by train. One hour 40 minutes. Travelling back from st.pancras to home the same time. The traffic at the elephant was stalemate with all different bus routes that you dont normally see. There looked to be an accident of some sort with blue lights, was anyone hurt? That was about 3.30pm.
Wednesday 20 August 2014 10.24am
Jan the old one wrote:
I travelled back to london from derby yesterday by train. One hour 40 minutes. Travelling back from st.pancras to home the same time. The traffic at the elephant was stalemate with all different bus routes that you dont normally see. There looked to be an accident of some sort with blue lights, was anyone hurt? That was about 3.30pm.

From time to time I am asked, "Do you ever miss driving a black cab?"
I'll save your post Jan, and show it to the next one that asks.
The truthful answer is, "Yes I did, for about two weeks, then a sense of freedom permeated my senses."
Naturally I missed coming home at the end of the day with the breast pocket of my shirt full of tenners and twenties, but this was counteracted by not having to put about 55 worth of diesel in the tank three times per week, and sitting in manufactured traffic in the City or Upper and Lower Thames Streets, or watching rickshaws illegally lining the kerbside outside Hamleys, ringing their bells at harassed parents with children, while London's Keystone Kops averted their eyes.
Thursday 21 August 2014 9.04am
Hi Jan, I think there was a fuel spill on the E&C roundabout
Thursday 21 August 2014 10.27am
Thank you Jackie, could not believe the delay or how quickly the road was filling with buses! Tom all that money on diesel, thats something clients dont think about with you london cabbies!
Friday 22 August 2014 11.09am
I appreciate the commiseration Jan, but in all honesty I wasn't complaining about the cost of running the taxi, that was just part of the deal, one has to speculate to accumulate.
I was merely commenting on one of the facets of the job that I that I'm glad I don't have to consider any more.
If a taxi driver starts to get the earache with traffic, then it's time to turn it in, after all, traffic is something that comes with the job.
It would be a bit like a doctor getting fed up with the sight of blood.
It was manufactured traffic that was getting to me, roads that I'd used for years being closed, or turned into one way for vehicles, the other way for bicycles.
I was in danger of being labelled a dinosaur, I remember when if you were hailed in Moorgate, and asked for Cannon St. station, you could go there with your eyes closed, on virtual automatic pilot.
Overnight it seemed, you had to start thinking again, can't go that way, no right turn, or that way, one way now against you.
It was like doing a mini knowledge all over again.
To paraphrase the old song, now I'm free, I'm free, nothing's bothering me, raindrops keep falling on my head.
Except when raindrops WERE falling, people's hands went up in the street, waving at me.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: